Cross-Cultural Dialogue Ground Rules
- We will engage with each other as a circle of individuals with thoughts, ideas, feelings, and experiences--we will recognize that we are more than just the job we do every day.
- We will respect the right to disagree-respectfully.
- We will express our real concerns as they relate to our own perspective.
- We will look for common goals and interests.
- We will open ourselves to different points of view.
- We will listen carefully to the ideas of others-one person talking at a time.
- We will ask for clarification instead of making assumptions.
- We will allow the facilitator to keep the discussion moving. We will respect the timelines of the agenda.
- We will try to stay on the theme of discussion.
- We will be sensitive to the diversity in communication styles-understand some are linear conversationalists and some are storytellers. We will remain patient!
Adapted From: Cultural Complementarity Model, United Way Twin Cities