- Grants Issued on a Reimbursement Basis
- Indirect/Admin Costs
- Grants Subject to Financial Reconciliations
In order to comply with Office of Grants Management (OGM) Policies 08‐08 and 08‐10, MDH grant payments for the Local Public Health Act and the federal Title V MCH Block Grant to Community Health Boards (CHBs) will be administered on a reimbursement basis beginning January 1, 2013. MDH will reimburse CHBs for expenses based on invoices submitted to MDH on either a monthly or quarterly basis. All invoices should be sent electronically to email@example.com for processing.
The final invoice for the LPH Act/Title V MCH Block Grant/Family Home Visiting TANF is attached. The invoice should look familiar as a draft was shared with local public health earlier this fall and the invoice is based on the invoice CHBs have used for Family Home Visiting TANF expenditures. You will be using this invoice to report grant expenditures paid for by CHBs and that are eligible for reimbursement under the following programs.
- 145A.131 Local Public Health Grant
- 145.882 Maternal and Child Health Block Grant
- 145A.17 Family Home Visiting Programs
If your organization has an existing internal cost allocation or federally negotiated rate agreement you may report these expenses on the Indirect/Admin Cost line. If your organization does not have an existing internal cost allocation or a federally negotiated rate agreement you should report all administrative costs as program costs. Thus, they should be reported in the appropriate invoice line item (salaries and fringe, supplies and expenses, other, etc.).
During 2013, MDH worked with five CHBs to pilot the new financial reconciliation process for grants to local public health. The purpose of the reconciliation pilot was to ensure that grant expenses claimed were in compliance with state and federal laws and requirements, and to provide additional guidance around grant expenditures. It was not an audit.
The pilot test highlighted practices that would benefit all CHBs, including:
- Require all invoices to have two signatures for payment, to ensure good internal control
- Require that invoices be submitted to you for all payments; do not pay directly from a contract
- CCR/SAMS registration shall be active
- Bill only for actual costs incurred, not estimates or projected expenses
- Ensure costs are appropriate and allocated to specific program areas
- Identify a consistent method for allocating staff duties and time (by applicable grant project), to facilitate time-tracking and billing to correct grants
- Provide training and support to staff preparing invoices, to ensure accounting records and invoices submitted match source documents on file
- Draft descriptions of the process used for allocating shared costs across programs, and provide this information to MDH grant managers along with budgets and/or the first invoice; this will help MDH grant programs better understand the existing systems and procedures used by your CHB to ensure good internal controls
In addition, please keep in mind the following grant requirements:
- Prior approval from MDH is required for the use of subcontracts. Please contact your MDH grant program manager if you intend to use subcontracts for MDH funds.
- The 2014 Assurances and Agreements for the Local Public Health Act, Title V, MCH Block Grant and TANF Family Home Visiting requires that travel adhere to the Commissioner's Plan as promulgated by Minnesota Management and Budget. An overview of the Commissioner's Plan travel expenses is available at: Commissioner's Plan Overview for Grantee Travel Reimbursement (PDF: 206KB / 1 page).
- PHEP has issued specific travel guidance that can be accessed on the MDH Workspace. PHEP also requires prior approval from MDH to use funds for food and beverages at grant-required meetings.
Please note: WIC financial review processes will remain the same.