Resources for Public Health Nursing
- Public Health Nursing Newsletter
- The "Wheel Manual"
- Online Training Modules: Public Health Practice
- Film: Public Health Nursing... It's for You
- New Leader Orientation Guide
- Public Health Nursing Registration, Licensure, Advanced Certification
The Public Health Nursing Newsletter (PHN News) highlights trends and issues related to the practice of public health nursing in Minnesota, to support the work of staff public health nurses.
This manual was developed as a part of the Public Health Nursing in the 21st Century Grant, and published in 2001.
Download: Wheel Manual
Download: Wheel Handouts
Order These Materials: Wheel Manual and Handouts
- Order Form: Wheel Manual (DOC: 423KB / 1 page) Cost: $25
- Order Form: Laminated Color Handouts (DOC: 423KB / 1 page)
- Public Health Practice Modules [Registration required]
These four WebEx training sessions are designed for new public health workers but are applicable to all who want a review of public health practice theory and frameworks.
This film shows public health nurses describing their commitment and passion for their profession, and also discusses some practice situations. It is intended for junior/senior high school students and college students who have not yet declared a major. A discussion guide is included in this film. This film was produced in 2005.
Order: Public Health Nursing... It's for You
- Order Form: VHS or DVD (DOC: 205KB / 1 page) Cost: Free
A strong and vibrant state and local public health system requires strong and vibrant leadership at the local level as well as at the state level. This guide includes an orientation process and resource information to help the new public health leader get off to a good start through the provision of support and mentorship and easy access of needed resources and information.
Registration and Licensure
A registered nurse licensed in Minnesota may obtain registration as a public health nurse after meeting requirements stated in Minnesota Rules. For more information, visit the Minnesota Board of Nursing:
- Minnesota Board of Nursing: Public Health Nurse Registration
[Attn: Non-MDH site]
The American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), a subsidiary of the American Nurses Association (ANA), provides individuals and organizations throughout the nursing profession with the resources for credentialing and certification. The standard credential awarded for passing this examination is APHN-BC (Advanced Public Health Nurse - Board Certified).
- Advanced Public Health Nursing [Attn: Non-MDH site]