Support from MDH: Local Health Departments
Assessment: Ability to Meet National Standards/Measures
The Office of Performance Improvement (OPI) will assist local health departments and community health boards (CHBs) in assessing their ability to meet PHAB accreditation standards. The self-assessment process will also leave departments with a set of strategic and quality improvement plans.
Although many departments applied for this support in Summer 2011, OPI will continue to provide technical assistance.
Training: Quality Improvement and Technical Assistance
OPI quality improvement consultants provide technical assistance and training for quality improvement, including:
- Identifying and processes and programs that would benefit from quality improvement methods
- Prioritizing QI interventions
- Facilitating QI processes
- Training staff to use QI tools
OPI will generate and provide local health departments and CHBs with documentation to support selected public health accreditation standards. Examples of provided documentation might include:
- Emergency preparedness agreements
- Attendance records and notes from State Community Health Services Advisory Committee (SCHSAC) meetings
Strategic Planning and General Consultation
Public Health Nurse Consultants (PHNCs) can offer continued support to help promote and maintain a strong public health infrastructure. PHNCs can help with a range of issues, including:
- Public health nursing practice
- Program planning and development
- Building partnerships to support public health outcomes
- Connecting health departments to state and national content experts
PHNCs serve geographically specific areas of Minnesota, and are located throughout the state.
- More Information: Public Health Nurse Consultants
In 2012, PHNCs and other OPI staff can aid in strategic planning at the local level. A strategic plan is a prerequisite for applying for accreditation
[Attn: Non-MDH link].