Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) Online Training and E-Learning
Welcome to the Minnesota Department of Health's Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) Program online learning page. C&TC is Minnesota's Early Periodic Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment (EPSDT), a federally mandated program for children and youth who are eligible for Minnesota's Health Care Programs (MCHP) Medical Assistance (MA).
Online Training Resources
- Child and Teen Checkups: Mental health or Depression Screening (December 14, 2017) - links to the Minnesota Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics website, where the recorded webinar and a PDF of the slides are available.
- Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) Periodicity Schedule Updates for October 1, 2017
- Periodicity Schedule Webinar Slides (includes hyperlinks to resources) (PDF)
- Accessible notes to Periodicity Schedule webinar slides (PDF)
- Implementing Postpartum Depression Screening During Infant Well Child Checks
- Vision Screening Update Webinar (7/2017)
- Oral Health and Fluoride Varnish Application in the C&TC Primary Care Setting
Currently available E-learning courses:
Click on each link to view description, objectives and approximate time to complete the course.
Introduction to the Early Periodic Screening and Diagnostic Treatment (EPSDT) and the Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) programs (Reviewed/Revised September 2017)
This E-learning training course is designed to improve your knowledge and ability to provide quality health care for Minnesota children eligible for Child and Teen Checkups.
- Provide an overview of C&TC in Minnesota
- Identify the purpose of C&TC screenings and services for eligible populations
- Identify C&TC resources and their role in providing C&TC services to those most in need
- Clarify the role of providers in accurately documenting and billing C&TC services
- Describe the components and standards of a comprehensive C&TC Screening
Estimated Time: 30 minutes
This training is designed as a reference for those providing hearing screening. It includes information to provide an accurate hearing screening to those Minnesota children and youth who are enrolled in Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC). The content in this training is also applicable for other programs such as Early Childhood Screening, Head Start, and School-Based Screening. However, it is not intended to replace the Minnesota Department of Health's scheduled on-site Hearing and Vision Screening training.
Upon completion of this training, you will be able to:Discuss the importance of hearing screening and early intervention.
- C&TC recommended and required age-appropriate hearing screening procedures.
- Age appropriate recommended hearing screening equipment and its care.
- Pass; rescreen, and refer criteria; and documentation.
Estimated Time: 70 minutes
This training is designed as a reference to give information for providing developmental and social-emotional screening to Minnesota children and youth who are eligible for the C&TC program.
- Identify the purpose of developmental and social-emotional screening
- Identify the percentage of children currently living with developmental and social-emotional delays
- List the ages at which developmental and social-emotional screening should occur
- Describe the criteria which should be used when selecting a developmental or social-emotional screening instrument
- Identify the developmental domains which should be included in a developmental screening instrument
Estimated Time: 40 minutes
This training is designed as a reference for those providing vision screening. It includes information to provide an accurate vision screening to those Minnesota children and youth who are eligible for Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC). The content in this training is also applicable for other programs such as Early Childhood Screening, Head Start, and School-Based Screening. However, this training is not intended to replace the Minnesota Department of Health's scheduled on-site Hearing and Vision Screening trainings.
- Describe the importance of vision screening and early identification
- Identify the Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) vision screening procedures for children and youth ages 0 through 20 years
- Differentiate between the subjective and objective components of the vision screening
- Document vision screening results
Estimated Time: 50 minutes
This training is designed for those who want to improve their assessment skills in the oral health screening component of the Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) program.
- Describe the Child and Teen Checkups Program and your role in providing oral health screening
- Describe the importance of oral health screening
- Identify and describe steps to oral health screening
- Identify common oral health problems in infants and children
- Describe dental caries prevention strategies
- Identify fluoride varnish application requirements and resources for training
- Provide anticipatory guidance about oral health
Estimated Time: 45 minutes
This training is designed for those who provide health related services to children and families - especially providers of any or all the components of a Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) well-child exam.
- Describe 3 effects of lead poisoning and how they can impact a child's development
- List 3 common sources of lead in our environment
- Identify Minnesota C&TC Screening guidelines
- Identify correct procedure for Blood Lead Level (BLL) testing
- Identify 2 prevention strategies
- Describe one barrier to increasing the number of eligible children screened for lead poisoning
Estimated Time: 60 minutes