Follow Along Program
Is your child developing on track? Babies and young children grow and learn at their own rate. However, some children may need help to grow up healthy and learn skills such as sitting, walking, or talking. Minnesota´s Follow Along Program can help you track your child's development and let you know if your child is playing, talking, growing, moving, and behaving like other children the same age.
What is the Follow Along Program?
- A good way to learn about your child´s health and development.
- A fun way to get ideas about “what to teach” and “at what age” to teach it.
- A simple way to ask questions about how your child is hearing, moving, seeing, playing, talking, learning, growing, and acting.
- An easy way to find out about other services you may want for your child.
How Does the Follow Along Program Work?
- An early childhood professional, most often a nurse, may visit with you (in person or over the phone) to tell you more about the program and find out more about your child.
- Questionnaires are sent to you when your child reaches different ages such as 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 30, and 36 months old. Each questionnaire asks how your child is growing, playing, talking, moving, and acting.
- Handouts with fun activities for you to do with your child are also sent to you.
- The results of the questionnaires will be shared with you. If there are any concerns, a nurse or other professional from the program will get in touch with you. Together, you can talk about choices for further evaluation or early help services.
- When your child is 36 months old, you will get information about the next step, Early Childhood Screening.
Is There a Cost?
It's FREE! There is no cost to you.
How Do I Sign Up?
OR contact your local public health department to sign your child / family up for the Follow Along Program (select your county on the map below or click here to see the entire list of contacts).
For additional program information, contact the state program coordinator at email@example.com (651) 201-3641 or toll free 1-800-728-5420.