MDH Recommendations on Scoliosis School Screening
MDH recommends selective screening in schools according to the following guidelines:
- Girls are to be screened in the fall of 5th grade AND spring of 6th grade.
- Screening is no longer recommended for boys.
- The preferred screening method is the scoliometer, used according to instructions.
- Children screened with an angle of trunk rotation (ATR) greater than or equal to 6 degrees are to be referred to their primary care provider.
- No watch list is recommended for children with an ATR less than 6 degrees.
MDH will continue to provide consultation and technical assistance for development of scoliosis materials and keep the MDH website up-to-date on school-based scoliosis screening recommendations.