Instructions for courts
Requesting a replacement birth record after adoption
- Complete the Certificate of Adoption (PDF).
- Provide all of the requested information.
- Verify the information about the adoptive parents in section 1.
- Verify the information about the child at birth and the birth parents in section 3. The information in section 3 must match the information on the birth record exactly. If the information does not match, the Certificate of Adoption will be returned to the court.
- Collect $40. The fee for registering a replacement birth record or creating a birth record after a foreign adoption is $40. The Office of Vital Records will not process Certificates of Adoption without payment of this fee.
- Complete an Application for Birth Certificate after Adoption (PDF) if the attorney or adoptive parents wish to request a birth certificate with the adoptive information for the child. A birth certificate costs $26. The notarized application and the fees may be sent with the Certificate of Adoption.
- Mail the Certificate of Adoption (not the adoption order or decree), the Application for Birth Certificate after Adoption and associated fees to:
Minnesota Department of Health
Central Cashiering - Vital Records
P.O. Box 64499
St. Paul, Minnesota 55164-0499
For more information about birth records after an adoption contact the Office of Vital records at 651-201-5970, or firstname.lastname@example.org.