How to request a replacement birth record after an adoption
Instructions for the court where the adoption proceedings took place
- Complete the Certificate of Adoption (PDF). Please ensure that all information requested on the Certificate of Adoption is provided. The name of the child at birth provided on the Certificate of Adoption must match the name on the birth record exactly. If the names do not match, the Certificate of Adoption will be returned to the court.
- Send the Certificate of Adoption only. Do not send the adoption order or decree.
- Enclose the $40 fee for creating the replacement record as required by Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226, subdivision 1. Certificates of Adoption received without a filing fee will not be processed and will be returned to the court.
- If the adoptive parents or attorney wish to request birth certificates in the new name of the child, a Birth Certificate Application (PDF) must be completed. Fees for a birth certificate are $26 for the first certificate and $19 for each additional copy of same record issued at the same time. The notarized application and the fees may be included with the Certificate of Adoption.
- Mail completed Certificate of Adoption, fees, and application to:
Minnesota Department of Health
Central Cashiering - Vital Records
P.O. Box 64499
St. Paul, Minnesota 55164-0499