Birth Record Amendments
As of August 25, the Office of Vital Records has completed and mailed amendment requests received on:
May 28, 2014
Please note: the Office of Vital Records deposits fees the same day it receives them, which may occur before an order for a certificate is completed.
If there is incorrect or missing information on your birth record or your child’s birth record, you can request an amendment. An amendment request must be made by mail to the Minnesota Office of Vital Records.
The Minnesota Office of Vital Records does not have walk-in service.
Requesting a birth record amendment may not be easy because you must prove that the change you want is accurate and justified.
Who can request an amendment to a birth record?
- The subject of the record age 18 or older.
- The subject’s parent or legal guardian. A legal guardian must submit a certified guardianship order with the request.
- The legal representative of the subject. A legal representative must submit documentation of this relationship, including authority from the subject to amend his/her birth record.
Please note: If an individual is deceased, an amendment to his or her birth record can only be requested by a parent.
How do I request an amendment to a birth record?
- Collect supporting documents, keeping in mind that all supporting documents must meet document requirements.
- Complete a Birth Record Amendment Application (Interactive PDF: 170KB/2 pages). You must sign your application in front of a notary public.
- The fee is $40. Payment is accepted by credit card (MasterCard, VISA, or Discover), check or money order and is deposited upon receipt. Fees are non-refundable per Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226.
- Complete this checklist if you are submitting a court order directing the birth record to be amended.
- Complete this other checklist if you are NOT submitting a court order directing the birth record to be amended.
- Mail your application, documents, and fee to:
Minnesota Department of Health
Central Cashiering – Vital Records
PO Box 64499
St. Paul, MN 55164-0499
The Minnesota Office of Vital Records does not have walk-in service.If you still have questions about amending a birth record after reading this information, email us at email@example.com or call 651-201-5990.