Birth Record Amendments

STATUS REPORT (On March 23, 2015)

The Office of Vital Records has completed and mailed amendment requests received on:

February 27, 2015

Please note:
the Office of Vital Records deposits fees the same day it receives them, which may occur before an order for a certificate is completed.

If there is incorrect or missing information on your birth record or your child’s birth record, you can request an amendment. An amendment request must be made by mail to the Minnesota Office of Vital Records. The Minnesota Office of Vital Records does not have walk-in service.

Requesting a birth record amendment may not be easy because you must prove that the change you want is accurate and justified.

Amending a birth record is not the same as adding a father to a birth record or replacing a birth record after adoption.

Who can request an amendment to a birth record?

  • The subject of the record age 18 or older.
  • The subject’s parent or legal guardian. A legal guardian must submit a certified guardianship order with the request.
  • The legal representative of the subject. A legal representative must submit documentation of this relationship, including authority from the subject to amend his/her birth record.

Please note: If an individual is deceased, an amendment to his or her birth record can only be requested by a parent.

How do I request an amendment to a birth record?

Minnesota Department of Health
Central Cashiering – Vital Records
PO Box 64499
St. Paul, MN 55164-0499

If you still have questions about amending a birth record after reading this information, email us at or call 651-201-5990.