Amending a death record through a funeral home

Requesting an amendment to a death record through the funeral home

  1. Contact the funeral home that handled the funeral arrangements. The funeral home name appears on the death certificate. For funeral establishment contact information see Find a Funeral Home on the Minnesota Department of Health Mortuary Science webpage.

  2. The funeral home will contact the person who provided the information for the death record. If that person agrees with the amendment request, the funeral home will request the amendment for you.

  3. It costs $40 to process an amendment request. The fee is due at the time of application and is nonrefundable. Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226

  4. If the funeral home cannot help you, you may request the amendment through a county vital records office or the Office of Vital Records.