Requesting an amendment to a death record through the state registrar
To request an amendment to a death record through the state registrar:
- Complete an Application to Amend a Death Record through a Registrar (PDF) or a written request. The application or request must be notarized.
- Locate at least one document that supports the amendment and meets the requirements established in Minnesota Rules, part 4601.1100.
- Pay close attention to document requirements. You must provide original or authenticated documents that are in good condition and that support the amendment you are requesting. The Requirements for Documents Submitted to Support the Amendment of a Death Record webpage explains document requirements. Your documents will be returned to you.
- Include the $40 fee for the amendment as required by Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226, subdivision 1.
- If you want a death certificate, complete the Death Certificate Application (PDF) and have your signature on the application notarized. The fee for a certified death certificate is $13.
The Office of Vital Records does not have in-person service. Mail your documents, the notarized application(s), and the fee(s) to the Office of Vital Records at the Minnesota Department of Health:
Minnesota Department of Health
Office of Vital Records - Death Record Amendments
P.O. Box 64499
St. Paul, Minnesota 55164-0499