Requesting an amendment to a death record through the state registrar
To request an amendment to a death record through the state registrar
1) Mail your request for an amendment to the Office of Vital Records in the Minnesota Department of Health. The Office of Vital Records does not have in-person service.
2) Submit at least one document that supports the amendment and meets the requirements established in Minnesota Rules, part 4601.1100.
Pay close attention to document requirements. An amendment cannot be made if you do not provide original or authenticated documents that are in good condition and support the amendment you are requesting. We suggest that you print the Requirements for Documents Submitted to Support the Amendment of a Death Record for reference.
3) Include a $40 fee for the amendment as required by Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226, subdivision 1.
4) Submit a completed Application to Amend a Death Record through a Registrar (PDF: 18KB/1 page) or a written request. The application or request must be notarized.
5) If you want a death certificate, you may complete the Death Certificate Application (Interactive PDF: 349KB/2pages) and have your signature on the application notarized.
The fee for a certified death certificate is $13.
6) Mail your documents, the notarized application(s), and the fee(s) to:
- Minnesota Department of Health
Office of Vital Records - Death Record Amendments
P.O. Box 64499
St. Paul, Minnesota 55164-0499