The Office of Vital Records is currently mailing birth certificates based on applications received on:
January 30, 2014
(Please note that all fees are deposited the same day we receive them.)
How do I get a birth certificate?
- You can get a birth certificate only if you have tangible interest.
- Some records are confidential and can only be obtained by certain people.
- Valid ID is required.
- The fee is $26. If you order more than one copy, each additional copy of the same record is $19. Fees are non-refundable, as per Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226.
- If no birth record can be found, you will receive a certified “Statement of No Birth Record Found.”
Where do I get a birth certificate?
For same day service: Visit a local issuance office in any county in the state for records 1900-present. Pre-1900 records are available only in the county of birth.
Apply by mail, fax or email to the MN Vital Records Office for records 1900-present. The Birth Certificate Application (Interactive PDF: 382KB/2 pages) must be signed and dated in front of a notary public. Payment is accepted by credit card (MasterCard, VISA, or Discover), check or money order and is deposited upon receipt.
- By email. You can scan and email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the notary uses a raised or embossed seal, instead of a rubber ink stamp, please lightly shade over the seal with a pencil so it is visible on the scanned image.
- By fax. You can fax your application to 651-201-5740. Do not fax it more than once; each application will be processed as a separate request. If the notary uses a raised or embossed seal, instead of a rubber ink stamp, please lightly shade over the seal with a pencil so it is visible on the fax.
- By mail. You can mail your application to:
Minnesota Department of Health
Central Cashiering – Vital Records
PO Box 64499
St Paul, MN 55164-0499
The Minnesota Office of Vital Records no longer has walk-in service.
If you need a certificate for someone born in another state, see the National Center for Health Statistics website for contact information.
If you still have questions about how to apply for a Minnesota birth certificate, email us at email@example.com or call 651-201-5980.