Non-certified Copies of Birth Records
The Office of Vital Records is currently mailing non-certified birth certificates based on applications received on:
January 22, 2014
(Please note that all fees are deposited the same day we receive them.)
A non-certified copy is a plain paper copy of a birth record. Non-certified copies are for informational use only and cannot be used for legal purposes. If you need a certificate for legal use, please go to Birth certificates.
Who can get a non-certified copy of a birth record?
- Anyone can get non-certified copy of a public birth record.
- Some records are confidential and can be issued only to certain people. If you request a copy of a confidential record you must sign and date your Noncertified Birth Record Transcript Application (Interactive PDF: 378KB/2 pages) in front of a notary public.
- If you are the mother listed on the record, you can request a copy that includes medical information if the birth occurred in 2001 or later. If you request medical information you must sign and date your application in front of a notary public.
How do I get a non-certified copy of a birth record?
- Complete a Noncertified Birth Record Transcript Application (Interactive PDF: 378KB/2 pages).
- If the record you want is confidential or if you are the mother asking for a copy with medical information, you must sign your application in front of a notary public.
- The fee is $13. If you order more than one copy, each additional copy of the same record is $6. Fees are non-refundable (Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226).
- If no birth record can be found, you will receive a “Statement of No Birth Record Found.”
Where do I get a non-certified copy of a birth record?
For same day service: Visit a local issuance office in any county in the state for records 1900-present. Pre-1900 records are available only in the county of birth.
Apply by email, fax or mail to the MN Vital Records Office for records 1900-present.
Payment is accepted by credit card (MasterCard, VISA, or Discover), check or money order and is deposited upon receipt.
- By email. You can scan and email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the notary uses a raised or embossed seal, instead of a rubber ink stamp, please lightly shade over the seal with a pencil so it is visible on the scanned image.
- By fax. You can fax your application to 651-201-5740. Do not fax it more than once; each application will be processed as a separate request. If the notary uses a raised or embossed seal, instead of a rubber ink stamp, please lightly shade over the seal with a pencil so it is visible on the fax.
- By mail. You can mail your application to:
Minnesota Department of Health
Central Cashiering – Vital Records
PO Box 64499
St Paul, MN 55164-0499
The Minnesota Office of Vital Records does not have walk-in service.
If you want a copy of a record for someone born in another state, see the National Center for Health Statistics website for contact information.
If you still have questions about how to apply for a non-certified copy of a birth record, email us at email@example.com or call 651-201-5980.