Birth and Fetal Death Registration Information for Hospital Staff
It is the responsibility of the State Registrar to maintain a statewide system of vital statistics, including the electronic registration of all births and deaths that occur in Minnesota according to Minnesota Statutes, sections 144.211-144.227, and Minnesota Rules, chapter 4601.
This website is dedicated to providing information to hospital staff about the birth and fetal death registration process in Minnesota.
Minnesota eVitals Initiative
The Minnesota Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records (OVR) recently collaborated with national and other Minnesota state agencies to test and evaluate secure, automatic data exchange from electronic health records to birth records. The goal of this initiative is to improve the accuracy and timeliness of birth data used for public health.
This innovative project used internationally recognized standards to move selected birth data directly from the source at a hospital to the birth record at the state, without requiring a person to review and enter data into a separate system. We are grateful for the support of the advisory group and for the foresight and intensive assistance we received from Unity Hospital in Fridley and Essentia Health.If you would like to learn more, a detailed description of the project and the findings are available in the summary report (PDF: 1.07MB/81 pages).
MR&C Update – effective July 1st
To improve system security, MR&C birth and fetal death record search returns will change. Summaries will be automatically viewable only when a search results in one record. Search results that potentially identify more than one record will display a list of all records matching the search criteria. The summary screen will display only after the user selects a record by clicking on the subject name.
- PROCESS CHANGE – The birth and fetal death record summary screen will be automatically viewable only when a search results in a single record. Searches with more than one result will require the user to select the appropriate record from a list before the summary screen will be viewable.
Congratulations to the 2013 Excellence in Birth Registration Award Winners (PDF:330KB/2 pages)
The Excellence in Birth Registration Award is presented at the annual Excellence in Birth Registration Conference & Training for the preceding year to hospitals for timely and complete filing of birth records. Birth registrars from all over the state gather to learn about birth registration needs, challenges and solutions.
The 2014 Conference was held on May 1, at the Shoreview Hampton Inn in the Twin Cities. More than 150 hospital birth registrars attended. Conference materials included both documents and presentations, all of which are posted below.
- 2013 Timeliness (XLS: 17KB/3 pages)
- Ask the Experts - Panel (PDF: 450KB/3 pages)
- Guidelines for Reporting Fetal Death (PDF: 452KB/1 page)
- Language Matters (PDF: 503KB/1 page)
- Previous Poor Outcomes and Previous Preterm Birth (XLS: 58KB/1 page)
- ROP and HNPS Tips (PDF: 328KB/2 pages)
- Using the Notes Field-Best Practices (PDF: 83KB/1 page)
- Birth Data to Reduce Infant Mortality - Michelle A. Chiezah (PPT: 771KB/52 slides)
- Corrections or Not - Kirsti Taipale (PPT: 584KB/21 slides)
- Cultural Diversity - Jose Gonzalez (PPT: 2.27MB/15 slides)
- eVital Records Initiative - Sally Almond (PPT: 2.35MB/25 slides)
- Understanding Paternity Establishment - Sara Lauthen (PPT: 1.85MB/24 slides
Excellence Awards Press Release
In addition, MDH issued a press release announcing the Excellence Awards. MDH encourages those hospitals that were recognized to read the press release and share it with their local communities including the communications staff within their facilities.
October 2014 Birth Data News
September 2014 Birth Data News
August 2014 Birth Data News
July 2014 Birth Data News
June 2014 Birth Data News
May 2014 Birth Data News
April 2014 Birth Data News
March 2014 Birth Data News
February 2014 Birth Data News
January 2014 Birth Data News
December 2013 Birth Data News
November 2013 Birth Data News
October 2013 Birth Data News
September 2013 Birth Data News
August 2013 Birth Data News
July 2013 Birth Data News
June 2013 Birth Data News
May 2013 Birth Data News
April 2013 Birth Data News
March 2013 Birth Data News
February 2013 Birth Data News
January 2013 Birth Data News