Information for Child Support Agencies

Information for Child Support Agencies

The Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Vital Records (OVR) and the Minnesota Department of Human Services Child Support Division (CSD) work together to assure that birth records and the certificates issued from them are accurate and complete.

The Office of Vital Records:

  • Works directly with child support representatives to file documents that establish paternity and name legal parents by replacing birth records with current parentage information.
  • Receives, reviews, and files voluntary paternity acknowledgement forms as well as other related documents. In Minnesota, these documents include the Minnesota Voluntary Recognition of Parentage, the Spouse's Non-parentage Statement, their revocation forms, and the previously used Declaration of Parentage and Husband's Non-paternity Statement. Court-ordered adjudications may also be filed with OVR along with a request to replace the child's birth record.
  • Processes and responds to requests from child support agencies outside of Minnesota for children born in Minnesota.

Information about adding the father to a birth record

With a Recognition of Parentage (ROP) form:
When the biological father is not married to the mother, he may establish paternity via the Minnesota Voluntary Recognition of Parentage program. Both birth parents sign and date a Recognition of Parentage (ROP) form in front of a notary; the ROP must be filed with the Office of Vital Records to be valid.

If the mother is married but her spouse is not the father, her spouse may complete a Spouse's Non-parentage Statement (SNPS) within a year after the child's birth. Both the SNPS and the ROP forms must be filed to replace the spouse's name with the biological father's name on the child's birth record.

With a court order:
A legal parent, including a biological father, can be added to a birth record with a court order. The certified copy of the court order must be submitted to the Office of Vital Records along with the $40 fee. Most courts and county offices do not forward information to the Office of Vital Records. Be sure that the parents you work with understand the services they receive and their role in updating their child's birth record.

The court order must show the child's name and date of birth as it appears on the current birth record, state that the person is the legal parent of the child and direct that the legal parent's name be added to the child's birth record.

Sometimes a child's name is also changed in the adjudication order. If the child's last name is to be changed, the court order must also instruct that the child's name be changed on the birth record.

Child Support: Replacement record after an adjudication

If you have any questions about adding a spouse to a birth record with a Recognition of Parentage or court ordered paternity adjudication, contact