Confidential birth records
The birth record of a child born to unmarried parents is confidential, unless at the time of birth, the mother designates the demographic data as public.
Confidential birth records are available only to:
- the subject of the birth record if the individual has reached the age of 16;
- a parent named on the birth record;
- a legal guardian presenting a certified copy of guardianship papers;
- an individual presenting a certified copy of a court order releasing the record to him/her, or;
- the Commissioner of Human Services or authorized representative.
To order a certificate, complete the Birth Certificate Application (PDF) form. You must sign and date the application in front of a notary public if you are ordering the certificate by mail, fax or email.
Minnesota Statutes, section 144.225, subdivision 2.