Documents to support the amendment of a death record

Documents to support the amendment of a death record

Documents that will be considered if each document is applicable, authorized, readable, reliable, and valid.

  • for date or place of death, a notarized statement from a person who was present at the death and can verify the accuracy of the requested change
  • a certified copy of a marriage certificate
  • a certified copy of a birth certificate
  • a divorce decree
  • a legal description of the place of death that has been properly recorded with the county recorder
  • social security number history (Numident) printout from the Social Security Administration
  • a court order that instructs a registrar to make the requested change

Court Orders

You do not need to submit additional documents if you submit a certified copy of the court order that specifically directs the death record to be changed. The court order must clearly identify the death record by specifying the first and last name of the decedent as the names appear on the current death record, plus the decedent's date of death or date of birth.

Death record changes by court order are limited to what is stated in the court order. If you are requesting changes that are not instructed in the court order, you must submit additional documentation.

Other Documents
The state registrar has the authority to consider other documents to support an amendment to a death record. If you cannot provide one of the documents listed above, submit the amendment request and the documents you can  provide to:

Minnesota Department of Health
Office of Vital Records
Death Record Amendments
P.O. Box 64499
St. Paul, Minnesota 55164-0499

Cause or Manner of Death
Only the person who signed the death certificate, the medical certifier, may change the cause or manner of death. A medical certifier is a physician, physician assistant, advanced practice registered nurse, coroner or medical examiner. Contact the medical certifier named on the death certificate if you have questions about the cause or manner of death.

Authority: Minnesota Rules, parts 4601.2100 and 4601.1100

Friday, August 17, 2018 at 11:03AM