Non-certified Copies of Death Records
A non-certified copy is a plain paper copy of a death record. It does not show an issue date or issuance location. Non-certified copies are for informational use only and cannot be used for legal purposes. If you need a certificate for legal use, please go to Death certificates.
Who can get a non-certified copy of a death record?
- Anyone can get non-certified copy of a death record.
How do I get a non-certified copy of a death record?
- Complete a Noncertified Death Record Transcript Application.
- The fee is $13. If you order more than one copy, each additional copy of the same record is $6. Fees are non-refundable (Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226).
- If no birth record can be found, you will receive a “Statement of No Death Record Found."
Where do I get a non-certified copy of a death record?For same day service: Visit a local issuance office in any county in the state for records 1997-present. Pre-1997 records are available only in the county of death or the State Registrar’s Office.
Apply by email, fax or mail to the MN Office of the State Registrar for records 1908-present.
Payment is accepted by credit card (MasterCard, VISA, or Discover), check or money order and is deposited upon receipt.
- By email. You can scan and email your application to email@example.com. If the notary uses a raised or embossed seal, instead of a rubber ink stamp, please lightly shade over the seal with a pencil so it is visible on the scanned image.
- By fax. You can fax your application to 651-201-5750.If the notary uses a raised or embossed seal, instead of a rubber ink stamp, please lightly shade over the seal with a pencil so it is visible on the fax.
- By mail. You can mail your application to:
The Office of the State Registrar does not have walk-in service.
If you want a copy of a record for someone who died in another state, see the National Center for Health Statistics website for contact information.
If you still have questions about applying for a non-certified copy of a death record, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 651-201-5980.