Minnesota Registration & Certification System (MR&C)
Death registration in Minnesota is electronic, using the statewide web-based vital records application, Minnesota Registration & Certification System (MR&C). MR&C is a statewide, web-based registration and issuance system. Authorized individuals enter, maintain, and use birth and death data, while system checks help improve data quality and ensure data security.
To use MR&C to enter causes of death, complete the Medical Certifier and Designated Staff User Agreement (PDF) and return it to the Office of Vital Records.
NEW Watch the MR&C password reset instructional video
Medical certifiers (physicians, advanced practice registered nurses, physician assistants, coroners, or medical examiners) and their designated staff (proxies) must be authorized users of MR&C to enter cause of death information.
To become a user, complete the Medical Certifier and Designated Staff User Agreement (PDF) and return it to the Office of Vital Records (instructions are on the form).
New users receive MR&C log in information by email after the Office of Vital Records (OVR) creates the user account.
Please notify OVR at health.MRCAdmin@state.mn.us when you:
- Change health care facilities
- Change health care systems
- Change your name
- Don't work with MR&C any longer
- Instructions for Completing the Cause-of-Death Section of the Death Certificate (PDF)
- Physicians' Handbook on Medical Certification of Death (PDF)
- National Association of Medical Examiners
- Death Certification
- A Reference Guide for Certification of Deaths in the Event of a Natural, Human-induced, or Chemical/Radiological Disaster (PDF)
- Death Scene Investigation After Natural Disaster or Other Weather-Related Events (PDF)