Minnesota Registration & Certification System (MR&C)
Death registration in Minnesota is electronic, using the statewide web-based vital records application, Minnesota Registration & Certification System (MR&C). MR&C is a statewide, web-based registration and issuance system. Authorized individuals enter, maintain, and use birth and death data, while system checks help improve data quality and ensure data security.
The Office of Vital Records (OVR) no longer enters cause of death information into MR&C from paper worksheets sent to OVR by medical certifiers or funeral establishments.
To use MR&C to enter causes of death, complete the Medical Certifier and Designated Staff User Agreement (PDF) and return it to the Office of Vital Records.
Medical certifiers (physicians, advanced practice registered nurses, physician assistants, coroners, or medical examiners) and their designated staff (proxies) must be authorized users of MR&C to enter cause of death information.
To become a user, complete the Medical Certifier and Designated Staff User Agreement (PDF) and return it to the Office of Vital Records (instructions are on the form).
New users receive MR&C log in information by email after the Office of Vital Records (OVR) creates the user account.
Please notify OVR at health.MRCAdmin@state.mn.us when you:
- Change health care facilities
- Change health care systems
- Change your name
- Don't work with MR&C any longer
- Instructions for Completing the Cause-of-Death Section of the Death Certificate (PDF)
- Physicians' Handbook on Medical Certification of Death (PDF)
- National Association of Medical Examiners
- Death Certification
- A Reference Guide for Certification of Deaths in the Event of a Natural, Human-induced, or Chemical/Radiological Disaster (PDF)
- Death Scene Investigation After Natural Disaster or Other Weather-Related Events (PDF)