Tangible interest

Tangible Interest

All Minnesota death records and most Minnesota birth records are public. However, Minnesota Statutes, section 144.225, subdivision 7 limits who can get a birth or death certificate to a person who has tangible interest. Tangible interest helps protect people who are born in Minnesota and the families of people who have died in Minnesota against fraud and identity theft.

Documentation may be required to support your claim of tangible interest.

Even if you have tangible interest, you may not be able to get a certificate for a confidential record. Please see confidential birth records for more information.

You have tangible interest in a certificate if you are:

  • the subject of the record

  • the child, grandchild, spouse, parent, or grandparent of the subject

  • the legal custodian, guardian, or conservator of the subject

  • a sibling of the subject (applies to death certificates only)

  • a personal representative of the subject’s estate

  • a licensed attorney

  • the person who filed the birth or death record or a representative of the organization that filed the birth or death record

  • a successor of the subject, if the subject is deceased

  • a trustee of a trust (applies to death certificates only)

  • a representative of an adoption agency

  • a representative of a local, state, or federal governmental agency

  • a person with a court order directing release of the certificate

  • a person who can demonstrate that the certificate is needed for the determination or protection of a personal or property right

  • a person who has a notarized authorization from one of the above individuals to get the certificate on his or her behalf

  • If you have questions about tangible interest, email MDH at health.issuance@state.mn.us