Health and Climate Video
Health and Climate Film
The MN Climate & Health Program, in partnership with the MN Environmental Public Health Tracking Program and tpt MN, produced the film: Health and Climate. The film highlights some of the climate changes Minnesota has been experiencing and the subsequent public health impacts. The film suggests ways we can adapt to and mitigate climate change.
Full Length Version (26 minutes, 40 seconds)
You can also go to the tpt MN Video Vault to watch the video.
Adult Discussion Guide
The purpose of this document is to serve as an aid to promote group discussion about climate change in Minnesota and its environmental and human health effects. It includes questions for before and after viewing the Health & Climate film.
Educational Materials for Middle School Teachers
MDH developed a number of educational materials for teachers to educate middle school students on the public health impacts of climate change. Aligned with the Minnesota Academic Standards, these materials complement the film, Health and Climate, and help to reinforce and elaborate on important points of the film. The materials range from a presentation on the associations between climate change and public health, to trivia and vocabulary games, to a computer lab exercise using real health data from MDH. Below find a list of the educational resources. All materials listed are free for download and use. If you have questions about the materials or would like to provide feedback, please contact the MN Climate and Health Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Climate Change Vocabulary List: terms relevant to climate change and its effect on the environment and human health. Activity takes approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Study Guide -- Climate Change Vocabulary: an organizational template for students to fill out as they learn new climate change vocabulary. Activity takes approximately 60-90 minutes.
- Vocabulary Slap Game (“Flyswatter Game”): using flyswatters, students race each other to slap the correct climate change vocabulary word that matches a definition read by the teacher. Words are projected on a screen or Smart Board. Activity takes approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Lesson & Formative Assessment -- Human Health Effects of Climate Change: outlines how climate change in Minnesota can lead to various health effects; formative assessment at end of slide set; associated handout provided for students. Activity takes approximately 30 minutes; 90 minutes if you include the assessment. Meets Academic Standard 126.96.36.199.1.
- Computer Lab -- “Connecting the Dots of Climate Change and Health”: guides students through Minnesota-specific health & climate data in order to draw conclusions regarding the connection between climate change and human health. Included are a pre-lab activity (45 minutes), 2-part in-class lab (each part takes 60 minutes), and post-lab activity (45 minutes). Meets Academic Standards 188.8.131.52.1, 184.108.40.206.1, 220.127.116.11.1, 18.104.22.168.2.
- Trivia Game: group trivia game regarding the health effects of climate change and climate change in general; slide set of questions is also provided. Activity takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Meets Academic Standard 22.214.171.124.2.
- Creative Art Assignment -- “Create Your Own Doodle”: prompt for students to create a “doodle” that depicts the actions one can take to decrease the amount of carbon dioxide released into the air. Activity takes approximately 60 to 120 minutes.
- Discussion Guide for Students: group discussion questions for students before and after viewing the Health & Climate video. Activity takes approximately 15 to 30 minutes.