Assistant Commissioner Manny Munson-Regala
Manny Munson-Regala was appointed in January 2014 as Assistant Commissioner, Strategic Initiatives for the Minnesota Department of Health.
The Department's Legal Office, Communications Office and State Epidemiologist report to him. In addition to those managerial duties, he also:
- Is a liaison to MDH's federal partners including Minnesota's Congressional delegation.
- Is a liaison to various stakeholders in the health care delivery sector.
- Is the Executive Office's lead on a number of cross-agency and inter-agency strategic initiatives
- Supports the Commissioner in the management of the workflow of the Executive Office.
MDH is the state's lead public health agency, responsible for protecting, maintaining and improving the health of all Minnesotans. The department operates programs in disease prevention and control, health promotion, community public health, environmental health, health care policy, and regulation of health care providers. MDH employs about 1,400 staff members in the Twin Cities and in seven offices in Greater Minnesota.
Prior to this appointment, Munson-Regala had a mix of public and private sector experience. On the public sector side, he served in different roles including:
- Assistant to the Commissioner of MDH
- Deputy Exchange Director at MMB and Commerce
- Acting Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner for the Minnesota Department of Commerce
His private sector experience included a mix of business development, legal, regulatory, compliance and legislative work at: Ceridian, United Healthcare, GeoVera Holdings, Inc., Discover Re, Travelers Insurance, The St. Paul Companies, and State Farm Fire and Casualty.
He received his Bachelor of Arts from University of Wisconsin-Madison and his Juris Doctor from University of Wisconsin Law School.
He is a current member of the Board Development Committee of the Girl Scout River Valley Council. He previously served on the board of the Minnesota Justice Foundation and Steppingstone Theater for Youth.