Asbestos Contractor Licensing

Do I have to be licensed to perform asbestos-related work?

A contractor must be licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) to perform asbestos-related work (ARW). ARW includes the work area preparation, enclosure, removal, encapsulation or maintenance of asbestos-containing material (ACM) during a project in a facility or building during the calendar year that meets or exceeds these amounts:

  • 260 linear feet of friable ACM on pipes, (10 linear feet on pipes in residences)
  • 160 square feet of friable ACM on other facility components, (6 square feet in residences) or,
  • 35 cubic feet of friable ACM on or off facility components (1 cubic foot in residences).

If you have a known series of small projects that will meet or exceed these quantities in a calendar year, these small projects are regulated from the start of the calendar year. Predicted maintenance activities that will meet or exceed these quantities are tracked separately from other types of asbestos work.

ARW also includes air quality monitoring. You need an asbestos contractor license if you are performing air sampling on a regulated project.

How do you become a licensed asbestos contractor?

In order to become a licensed asbestos contractor, or to annually renew your asbestos contractor license in Minnesota, you must:

  1. Complete MDH’s Asbestos Contractor License Application (PDF: 65KB/ 1 pages). Make sure the application is completely filled out, including your State of Minnesota Business Identification Number issued by the Minnesota Department of Revenue, and the policy number of your Worker’s Compensation Insurance Coverage. For more information on Worker's Compensation Insurance, contact the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.
  2. Submit your license application and fee to MDH for review and approval. Make sure to include the nonrefundable licensing fee of $100 in the form of a cashier’s check, business check or money order.

Allow plenty of time for the processing of your application. It may take approximately 2 to 4 weeks to process an application, so plan ahead. In order to speed the process, make sure the entire application form is filled out completely, including all necessary signatures.

After I have an asbestos contractor's license, what if information about my company changes?

Keep MDH informed of any company changes, especially address, telephone number, fax number and e-mail address. This is important so that you receive current information as it is released by MDH.

How do I find out more information?

For more information about asbestos, contact the Asbestos Program at MDH through the internet or by telephone at (651) 201-4620.

Go to > top

Updated Tuesday, July 07, 2015 at 02:33PM