Asbestos - Asbestos Work Outdoors - EH: Minnesota Department of Health

Asbestos Work Outdoors

Does MDH regulate asbestos-related work outside a building?

Yes. The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) regulates the removal of friable, asbestos-containing material (ACM) outside of a building if the amount exceeds:

  • 260 linear feet; or
  • 160 square feet; or
  • 35 cubic feet


the total amount of all friable ACM to be disturbed in the facility during the calendar year will be greater than:

  • 260 linear feet; or
  • 160 square feet; or
  • 35 cubic feet

This includes work on roof tops, demolitions and excavations.

What is required for outdoor work?

If the project is regulated by MDH, then the following items are required:

  • the work must be performed by a licensed asbestos contractor;
  • certified site supervisors and workers must be used;
  • the contractor must notify MDH of the work and obtain a permit;
  • the work area must be posted with asbestos warning signs;
  • all asbestos waste must be properly handled

What if I'm working outside a residence?

MDH regulates the project if the ACM is located outside of a residence


the asbestos-related work (ARW) you will be performing on friable ACM, or ACM that you will make friable, is in an amount that meets or exceeds:

  • 10 linear feet; or
  • 6 square feet; or
  • 1 cubic foot

then all the previous requirements apply:

  • licensed contractor;
  • certified site supervisors and workers;
  • notification and permit;
  • and proper waste handling

IMPORTANT: Residential amounts exclude roofing, siding, flooring and ceilings in residences with four or fewer dwelling units.

How do I find out more information?

For more information about asbestos, contact the Asbestos Program at MDH through the internet or by telephone at (651) 201-4620.

Go to > top

Updated Monday, September 19, 2016 at 10:47AM