Asbestos in Soil
Does MDH regulate asbestos in soil?
The Minnesota Department of Health's (MDH) Asbestos Rules apply to all soil removal projects where friable asbestos-containing material (ACM) and the associated contaminated soil is present in amounts greater than 35 cubic feet at a commercial site or 1 cubic foot at a residential site.
Who can remove asbestos in soil?
If you are removing greater than 35 cubic feet of friable ACM and contaminated soil at a commercial site or 1 cubic foot at a residential site, then you must be a licensed asbestos contractor.
What about my workers?
To remove asbestos in soil, you must have at least one currently certified asbestos site supervisor on site that works for you. Any other employees must be at least currently certified asbestos workers.
What work practices do I have to follow?
The following work practices are required when removing asbestos in soil:
- Minnesota Rules 4620.3410 – You must notify MDH of the work at least five calendar days before you begin
- Minnesota Rules 4620.3430 – You must pay a 1% permit fee to MDH
- Minnesota Rules 4620.3435 – You must post the the Project Permit, the Project Notice and the Sign-in/Sign-out log
- Minnesota Rules 4620.3560 – You must complete a project plan prior to beginning work
- Minnesota Rules 4620.3568, subpart 5 – You must post asbestos warning signs at all approaches to the work area
- Minnesota Rules 4620.3571 – You must wet ACM before and during removal
- Minnesota Rules 4620.3575, subpart 9 – You must properly containerized ACM
My company has been subcontracted to only line the dump trucks. Do MDH’s Asbestos Rules apply to my company?
Yes. You are containerizing the ACM, which is regulated by MDH. Therefore the MDH Asbestos regulations apply.
My company has been subcontracted to haul the contaminated soil to a landfill with dump trucks. Do MDH’s Asbestos Rules apply to my company?
No. If you are simply hauling the waste to the landfill, the MDH asbestos regulations do not apply to you.
Do I have to conduct air sampling while removing asbestos in soil?
You do not have to collect MDH air samples while removing asbestos in soil.
Are there other regulations that may apply to removing asbestos in soil?
How do I find out more information?
For more information about asbestos, contact the Asbestos Program at MDH through the internet or by telephone at (651) 201-4620.
Go to > top