Fuel Oil Contamination During a Disaster
During a flood, fuel oil spills can contaminate buildings. Knowing what you should do when there is a fuel oil spill can help keep you safe from harm.
- Stay safe: Keep children and pets away from the spill. Wear clothing that will not soak up oil when cleaning.
- Avoid ignition sources: a spill is a potential fire hazard, do not allow an open flame or run a generator near the spill.
- Report the spill: notify the Minnesota Duty Officer Program
- Ventilate: open all windows and doors near the area. Throw away items that are porous and have soaked up the oil.
Other Non-MDH Resources:
- ATSDR: Fuel Oils (PDF: KB/2 pages) - Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
- MPCA Emergency Response Publications: Spills and Incident Reporting - Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA)
- EPA: Oil Spills - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)