Septic Systems During a Disaster
Flood conditions can cause a number of potential problems for users of private sewage treatment (septic) systems. This Web page contains links to information that can help you prevent - or resolve - flood related sewage problems.
Stop using your sewage system if:
- your septic tank or drainfield becomes flooded;
- you can see any raw sewage or "grey water" on the surface of the ground, as a result of waste water leaking from your system; or
- wastewater begins to enter your home through drains or plumbing fixtures.
- U of MN Extension - Septic Systems: After the Flood (PDF: 301KB/2pages)
- MPCA: Healthy Septic Systems (Information for Homeowners) – Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA)
- U of MN Extension: Onsite Sewage Treatment Program