Food Safety and Vending Machines
Safe Food is Good Business
PDF version of this Web page formatted for print:
Food Safety and Vending Machines (PDF: 32KB/1 page)
Vending Machine Food Safety
The vending machine must:
- Have an easily readable thermometer accurate to 1.5º C (2.7º F) located in warmest part of cold food machines, and in coolest part of hot food machines.
- Maintain cold foods at 41º F. or below and hot foods at 140º F. or above.
The temperature specified for shutoff activation may deviate from the temperature and for a time immediately after the machine is filled, serviced, or restocked as follows:
|Refrigerated:||Ambient air temperature of 45º F. or higher, for not more than 30 minutes.|
|Hot Food:||Ambient air temperature below 140º F. for not more than 120 minutes.|
Potentially Hazardous Foods
Ready-to-eat potentially hazardous foods held for more than 24 hours must be labeled with the preparation date to indicate the date by when the food shall be consumed, which is seven days or less from the day of preparation. Dispose of ready-to-eat potentially hazardous foods if not consumed within seven days from the date of preparation. One exception to this would be food which had been prepared in a food processing plant. If not consumed, this food must be discarded seven days or less after the original package is opened.
- All potentially hazardous food vended from a machine must be in the original container in which it was packaged at the preparation facility.
- Condiments need to be in individual packages or dispensers filled at an approved location.
- All food must be labeled in accordance with the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21.
- All vending machines must comply with National Automatic Merchandising Association (NAMA), National Sanitation Foundation International (NSF), and/or Minnesota Rules, 1550.3200 to 1550.3320.
- Except those vending machines which dispense canned beverages, outside vending machines must have overhead protection. If not protected from outside elements the dispensing compartment of a vending machine must be equipped with a self-closing door or cover.
Go to > top.