About Hazardous Waste Sites in Minnesota
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) through the Site Assessment and Consultation Unit (SAC) evaluates public health risks at sites or facilities where chemicals have been released into the environment.
SAC conducts public health activities related to contaminant releases, including:
- Evaluating public health exposures to chemicals and making recommendations for reducing exposures to contaminants from hazardous waste sites, landfills, dumps, industrial facilities, and other sites where hazardous materials are released.
- Responding to citizens who petition ATSDR (U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry) for a health assessment.
- Providing guidelines and advice to maximize health benefits of eating fish and for eating fish low in contaminants.
- Providing community and professional public health education.
- Reviewing and responding to health concerns related to exposures to environmental contaminants.