Model IAQ Plan in Schools
Introduction to the Indoor Air Quality
Management Plan Development Package
The Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Management Plan Development Package has been developed for Minnesota school officials. This package may be used by other parties as a resource.
- To assist Minnesota school district officials in their efforts to develop an IAQ Management Plan through the use of a Model IAQ Management Plan, and supporting guidance documents, checklists, and schedules.
- To help all Minnesota school officials develop and implement practical policies that will protect the health of students and staff and improve the teaching and learning environment.
- To help school districts fulfill the Minnesota Department of Education's (MDE) health and safety letter, which requires that all Minnesota public school districts (that are eligible for health and safety funds) have an effective and district-specific IAQ Management Plan.
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) has heard how difficult it is to develop an IAQ Management Plan. While the development of an IAQ Plan is challenging, a motivated group of school officials should be able to develop, implement, and maintain a district-specific IAQ Plan at a low cost. There may be costs associated with maintaining and improving air quality within the district's buildings, such as addressing deferred maintenance items and improving operations and maintenance practices. However, these additional costs will help to reduce IAQ issues that are typically very costly in the long run.
MDH has developed an IAQ Management Plan Development Package. This package consists of 5 components:
- A "Model IAQ Management Plan" (Model Plan) that provides brief policies and procedures. This Model Plan needs to be edited to create a district-specific plan. The Model Plan includes both required and optional policies.
- A "Tools for Schools" folder that consists of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) checklists, which are to be used (or an equivalent) in the development and implementation of an IAQ Management Plan.
- An "Attachments" folder that includes schedules, forms, and information that should be used in the development and implementation of the IAQ Management Plan.
- An "Appendices" folder that consists of additional guidance and information that may help in the development and implementation of the IAQ Management Plan.
The Model Plan policies and the information in the supporting documents have been created using the United States Environmental Protection Agency's (USEPA) Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools Action Kit, MDE 'health and safety letter', information from existing Minnesota school IAQ Management Plans, and MDH Research. MDH recommends using the USEPA's Tools for Schools kit, in conjunction with this package, because it provides useful supporting information and investigation tools.
The Indoor Air Quality Management Plan Development Package was developed by the Minnesota Department of Health in collaboration with the Minnesota Department of Education. This project was partially funded by a cooperative agreement from the USEPA, Region 5.
Go to > top.
- Attachment 1: Example Preventive Maintenance Schedule (Word: 97KB/2 pages)
- Attachment 2: Example Concern Reporting and Investigation Forms (PDF: 21KB/1 page)
- Attachment 3: Example Plan to Address Identified Issues (Word: 40KB/1 page)
- Attachment 4: Example List of Information Resources for Parents to Assess Home (Word: 29KB/1 page)
- Appendix A: 10-Step Guide for the Development and Implementation of a School or District Indoor Air Quality Management Plan (Word: 172KB/13 pages)
- Appendix B: Optional Policies - Issues to Consider, Policy Additions, and Policy Alternatives (Word: 103KB/5 page)
- Appendix C: The United States Environmental Protection Agency's Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools Kit (Word: 32KB/1 page)
- Appendix D: How to structure your Indoor Air Quality Meetings (Word: 57KB/2 pages)
Tools for Schools Folder
The following documents are also available on the EPA's Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools Action Kit Web page.
- Maintenance Checklist (PDF:98KB/2 pages)
- Ventilation Checklist (PDF:254KB/5 pages)
- Walk-through Checklist (PDF:71KB/2 pages)
Go to > top