Lead Poisoning Prevention
Certified Lead Firm
The information on this page does not meet the regulatory requirements for the EPA's Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule. For the necessary information, visit the EPA's RRP website.
Do I have to be certified to perform regulated lead work?
If you are performing one of the following activities:
- interim controls,
- clearance inspections,
- lead hazard screens,
- lead inspections,
- lead risk assessments,
- lead project design,
- lead sampling, or
- swab team services.
AND it is being performed in one of the following affected properties:
- a residence,
- a school,
- a child-occupied facility, or
- a play area
you must be certified by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) as a lead firm. Two exceptions are:
- if you are a sole proprietor and have no employees; or
- you are conducting regulated lead work on a property you own.
NOTE: If your primary intent is to remodel, repair or restore an affected property, you may not be regulated by MDH. Contact MDH if you are unsure or need clarification. However, renovation activities will be regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) beginning in April 2010 when the EPA's RRP Rule begins.
How do I become a certified lead firm?In order to become a certified lead firm, or to annually renew your lead certification in Minnesota, you must:
1. Complete MDH’s Lead Firm Certification Application (PDF). Make sure the application is completely filled out, including your State of Minnesota Business Identification Number issued by the Minnesota Department of Revenue, and attach a copy of your Worker’s Compensation Insurance Coverage. For more information on Worker's Compensation Insurance, contact the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.
2. Submit your license application and fee to MDH for review and approval. Make sure to include the nonrefundable certification fee of $100 in the form of a cashier’s check, business check or money order.
Allow plenty of time for the processing of your application. It may take approximately 2 to 4 weeks to process an application, so plan ahead. In order to speed the process, make sure the entire application form is filled out completely, including all necessary signatures.
After I have a lead firm certification, what if information about my company changes?
Keep MDH informed of any company changes, especially address, telephone number, fax number and e-mail address. This is important so that you receive current information as it is released by MDH.