Lead Poisoning Prevention
Lead Hazard Reduction Notification
The information on this page does not meet the regulatory requirements for the EPA's new Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule. For the necessary information, visit the EPA's RRP website.
When does the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) need to be notified of a lead hazard reduction project?
MDH is required to be notified of a lead hazard reduction project in the following situations:
- If the lead hazard reduction has been ordered by a public health agency in response to an elevated blood lead in a child or pregnant female that resides at the property.
- If the intent of the project is lead hazard reduction.
If you are unsure if your project is notifiable, ask the person who hired you what their intent is, or contact MDH.
How do I notify MDH?Notify MDH of your lead hazard reduction project by submitting a completed Notification of Lead Hazard Reduction (PDF: 54KB/ 1 page). Be sure to submit the Notification at least five (5) calendar days prior to beginning your work.
Who must submit the notification?The lead certified firm, lead supervisor or property owner who will be conducting the lead hazard reduction must notify MDH.
What if something changes after I submit the notification?The certified firm, lead supervisor or property owner must update or amend information on the notification using the same Notification of Lead Hazard Reduction (PDF: 54KB/ 1 page) Simply check "Amended" at the top of the form, change the necessary information and then circle or highlight the new information so MDH can readily identify it. When amending information on a notification keep in mind the following requirements:
- All amendments must be in writing;
- Start dates may be amended to an earlier date, but MDH must still be notified five (5) calendar days in advance;
- Any other amended information must be received by MDH on the date of the change.
- Amendments to work shift times and dates (except for the start date) may be submitted to MDH by telephone or voice mail.