Continuous Improvement Board
The Environmental Health Continuous Improvement Board (Board) was chartered by the Local Public Health Association (LPHA) and the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) to fundamentally advance Minnesota’s state-local partnership in Environmental Health (EH). The Board will initially work on current Food, Pools and Lodging Services (FPLS) challenges and then work more broadly to monitor and advance state-local work in EH.
*Elements of the EHCIB’s vision
Dawn Beck, Olmsted County*
Jeff Brown, City of Edina
Allie Freidrichs, Meeker-McLeod-Sibley Counties
Bill Groskreutz, Faribault County Commissioner
Tom Hogan, Minnesota Department of Health*
Daniel Huff, City of Minneapolis
Jeff Luedeman, Minnesota Department of Agriculture
Carol Schefers, Wright County
John Weidner, Lake County
John Weinand, City of Minnetonka
FPLS Annual Performance Measures
The FPLS Annual Performance Measures were developed to provide a picture of FPLS across MN. They were developed in collaboration – local programs, MDH, and MDA all worked together to develop these annual performance measures. They will be used to assess statewide performance and identify opportunities for statewide improvement.
The Environmental Continuous Improvement Board (EHCIB) would like to thank everyone who gave input on the draft Food, Pools and Lodging Services (FPLS) annual performance measures. Overall, the feedback received was positive. The feedback also indicated the need for some changes. The EHCIB adopted the annual FPLS performance measures for this first year of reporting with the following changes:
- FPLS staff qualification measure – % of FPLS management staff (those who directly supervise inspection staff) who are registered sanitarians in MN – will be removed because the EHCIB determined the measure would not assess support available to inspection staff as intended.
- For this first year of reporting, the industry engagement and outreach efforts measures and the risk factors measures will be optional. The EHCIB recognizes that this information may be difficult to report and would like to pilot these measures before fully adopting them.
- For the measure – % of inspections completed on-time – the EHCIB will keep the original recommendation of allowing programs the option of reporting using a random sample or total inspections. Feedback indicated this was necessary to make it easier for programs to report this information. Also, reporting instructions will include details such as how many data points to use and which establishments to exclude from data for reporting.
The EHCIB is excited about these new measures because for the first time MDH, MDA, and delegated programs will report the same data providing a complete picture of FPLS across the state. A summary of the feedback and the updated measures will be available on the webpage soon.
FPLS Program Re-evaluation Process and Feedback
In response to wide-spread concern and frustration, the Environmental Health Continuous Improvement Board developed and adopted the following re-evaluation process document:
Programs that participated in the FPLS program re-evaluation process provided feedback about the process through interviews conducted by MDH Public Health Practice Section staff. The following is a summary of their feedback:
FPLS Program Evaluation Workgroup
The EHCIB is committed to improving the FPLS program evaluation process. The following is the approved charter for and membership of the workgroup charged with developing the metrics and tools to support the new FPLS program evaluation process.
FPLS Program Evaluation Workgroup Meeting Information
Upcoming meetingsPast meetings
- To be determined
July Notes (PDF) September Notes (PDF) October Notes (PDF)
Statement of Support
The Environmental Continuous Improvement Board issued the following Statement of Support outlining their commitment to Minnesota’s state-local environmental health partnership.
These meetings will occur from 9 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. at Minnesota Counties Intergovernmental Trust in St. Paul. All are welcome to attend:
- January 11, 2017
- March 8, 2017
- May 3, 2017
- July 12, 2017
- September 13, 2017
- November 8, 2017
January 11, 2017
- The January meeting is being held from 8:30-10:30 a.m. via WebEx.
Join the EHCIB WebEx Meeting
- January 2017 Agenda (PDF)
November 9, 2016
September 14, 2016
July 13, 2016
May 11, 2016
March 9, 2016
January 27, 2016
- January 2016 Agenda (PDF)
- January 2016 Take-Home Points (PDF)
- January 2016 Approved Meeting Summary (PDF)
Older meeting documents are available upon request by calling 651-201-4571 or sending an email to: email@example.com
- EHCIB Background - Previous groups that have met over time (PDF) Environmental Health Timeline since 1980
- 1980 Report: Final Report of the Environmental Health Policy Study Advisory Committee (PDF)
- 1993 SCHSAC Report: Strengthening Public Health Leadership in Environmental Health (PDF)
- 1999 SCHSAC Report: A Partnership for Public Health: What Does it Mean? (PDF)
- 2002 SCHSAC Report: Strengthening Environmental Health in Minnesota (PDF)