Limited Scope X-ray Operator and
Bone Densitometry Exams
Limited Scope X-ray Operator Exam and Application
- Limited Scope X-ray Operator Application (PDF)
- Bone Densitometry Equipment Operator Application (PDF)
- Download application above.
- Include a $25.00 money order or cashier’s check payable to Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) with the application. Fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable.
- MDH recommends typing or writing legibly on this application and sending it Certified Mail.
- MDH will review the application, and send a letter by mail or email to the applicant regarding next steps and payment to ARRT.
- After receiving notification from MDH, the applicant will pay the ARRT fee of $125.00 by credit card on their website, or by money order or cashier’s check via mail to ARRT.
- ARRT will send applicants the exam materials. Applicants will have 90 days in which to take the exam. MDH strongly recommends scheduling an exam right away, as exam sites fill up quickly.
- MDH will notify approved applicants of their exam scores and passing exams. Passing rate is 70% for the core AND each module.
- Individuals not Licensed Practitioners of the Healing Arts who want to take x-rays on humans in Minnesota and are not already certified to do so, must pass the American Registry of Radiological Technologists (ARRT) Limited Scope X-ray Operator Exam, as specified in Minnesota Rules, Chapters 4732.0570 to 4732.0585.
- Those who passed the Minnesota X-ray Operator Exam on or prior to Jan. 1, 2008 are grandfathered in and do not have to take this exam. If you need proof of certification, MDH does not have a copy. Please contact your school, previous employer, or the appropriate test provider.
- Limited Scope X-ray Operator applicants must pass the Core Exam and the respective region of anatomy module exam(s) before performing x-rays. You must pass the Core Exam before taking x-rays on any passed modules.
- If an applicant fails a module, they will need to retake and pass in order to take x-rays of that anatomical region.
- The fees and application process is the same for the initial application and the retake application. Once a module or exam is passed, it does not have to be retaken.
- If an extension to the 90-day test window is needed, requests should be received one week prior to the window expiration date.
- If a current application for the Radiologic Technologist (RT) Exam, Limited Scope, or Bone Density Exams is pending, applicants cannot apply for another exam until the pending exam is passed and/orapplication is closed.
ARRT - American Registry of Radiological Technologists
1255 Northland Drive
St. Paul, Minnesota 55120-1155
- Pearson Vue Test Locations
- Testing Accommodations guidelines and form (PDF)
- Limited Scope Exam
- Limited Scope Handbook
- Bone Density Exam
- Bone Density Handbook
Classes and Home Study Courses
The Minnesota Department of Health does not endorse any part of this list and is not responsible for the content of any of these educational sources.
|Limited Scope X-ray Operator Online Course||Dakota Cty Tech College Rosemount||Gene Frank
|Limited Scope X-ray Course||Anoka Technical College||Laura Cleveland
Anoka Technical College
|Limited Scope X-ray Course||Radiology Education Online (REO)||Ann Watson
Radiology Education Online
|Limited Radiography Program for the Chiropractic Assistant||Northwestern Health Sciences University||Kathy Tainter
952-888-4777 ext. 252
Northwestern Health Services University
|Limited Scope X-ray Operator Program||Pine Technical College||Krista Hoekstra
Pine Technical College
|Limited Scope Operators Prep Course||Onsite at your facility||Brian Hall
Quality Radiologic Consultants
|X-ray Operator Course||Contact for locations||Pat Raths
|Basic X-Ray Techniques||RiverStone Health,
Go to > top
Home Study Courses
|Course||Contact Information||Course Information|
|ASRT Bone Densitometry Basics||800-444-2778||American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT)
|X-ray CE||866-405-9729||X-RAY CE|
|Radiological Educational Services||800-966-0452||Radiologic Educational Services|
|Radiographic Operations Consulting||800-929-8709||Radiographic Operations Consulting|
|Glacier Valley Medical Education||360-327-3224||Glacier Valley Medical Education|
|The X-ray Lady||502-425-0651||X-ray Lady|
|X-RAY UNITS||317-748-6101||XRAY UNITS|
|Gage Continuing Education||877-775-4243
|Gage Continuing Education|
|Take CE LLC||214-937-9956
|Take CE LLC|
Basic Radiography for X-ray Operators, Copyright Unpublished Work © Patricia M. Raths, Adjunct Instructor at Argosy University
Bone Densitometry for Technologists, by Sydney Bonnick
Principles of Bone Densitometry: A Study Guide for the ARRT Bone Densitometry Certification Exam, by Jean M. Fisher and Donna H. Smith
Patient Care in Radiology
Patient Care in Radiography, by Ruth Ann Ehrlich, Ellen Doble McCloskey, and Joan A. Daly
Merrill's Atlas of Radiographic Positioning, by Eugene D. Frank, Bruce W. Long, and Barbara J. Smith
Bontrager's Pocket Atlas-Handbook of Radiographic Positioning and Techniques, by Kenneth L. Bontrager
Radiation Protection in Medical Radiography
Principles of Radiographic Imaging, by Richard R. Carlton and Arlene McKenna Adler
Radiographic Imaging & Exposure, by Terri L. Fauber
Radiation Protection in Medical Radiography, by Mary Alice Statkiewicz-Sherer
X-ray Machine Operator Course textbooks
Radiography Essentials for Limited Practice, by Eugene D. Frank et al
Workbook for Radiography Essentials for Limited Practice, by Eugene D. Frank et al
Go to > top