Health Risk Assessment Programs and Services
The Health Risk Assessment Unit is located in the Environmental Surveillance and Assessment Section of the Environmental Health Division.
The Health Risk Assessment Unit works to protect public health by evaluating and communicating information about health risks from exposures to environmental health hazards. We provides consultation to state and local agencies and the public regarding health risks from contaminants in air, water, soil, food, and other media. We work closely with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and other state and local agencies to protect public health by evaluating and communicating scientific information, including developing health-based Values and Guidance for contaminants. We also provide information to the public about reducing exposures to and risks from hazardous chemicals and substances.
The Health Risk Assessment Unit works collaboratively with other units of the Environmental Surveillance and Assessment Section. This Section provides expertise in a variety of scientific disciplines, including chemistry, physiology, toxicology, exposure assessment, biostatistics, risk communications and risk assessment. We also consult with staff from other programs with expertise in environmental epidemiology, environmental sampling, laboratory testing and analysis, biostatistics, emergency preparedness and counterterrorism.
- Fish Consumption Advice
- Health-Based Rules and Guidance for Groundwater
- Health-Based Rules and Guidance for Air
- Children's Environmental Health
- Contaminants of Emerging Concern
Go to > top
State and local agencies may request consultation and assistance from the Health Risk Assessment Unit regarding the development of health-based Values/Guidance for contaminants in groundwater, air, and other environmental media. In addition, the public may request information from the Health Risk Assessment Unit regarding exposures to chemicals and other environmental health hazards. Our services include:
- Conducting site-specific assessments of public health risks from pollutants released by industrial facilities, and other pollution sources;
- Evaluating the effects of contaminants on vulnerable populations, such as the children and the elderly;
- Providing consultation to state and local agencies and the public regarding chemical exposures and toxicity, environmental sampling, and laboratory analysis;
- Developing health-based Values/Guidance for contaminants in groundwater, air and other environmental media; and
- Providing Fish Consumption Advice.
Our services focus on protecting public health, in consultation with a wide variety of local, state, and federal agencies, environmental organizations, and the public.
Go to > top.