SWP Noncommunity Transient Grant: Frequently Asked Questions - EH: Minnesota Department of Health FAQ

Noncommunity Transient Grant: Frequently Asked Questions
Source Water Protection

Who is eligible to receive this type of grant?

All transient noncommunity public water suppliers

Where does the grant funding come from?

Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment funds

Are grants tax exempt?

Yes. Grants from the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment funds are not taxable. Grants fall under the "aid” and “assistance” category.

What activities are eligible for a grant?

Activities must focus on managing or eliminating one or more potential sources of contamination. The activities must either be described in a sanitary survey or recognized by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) through correspondence with the public water supplier. Make sure you give all the necessary details on the application form in Section 1d and attach copies of relevant documents.

Who can help me fill out a grant application and decide what to apply for?

The MDH sanitarian assigned to your area of the state can help you put together an application. See Noncommunity Public Water Supply Unit Field Staff and Territories map for contact information.

Can I use the grant funds for activities that took place in the past?

No. You can only use grant money for activities that take place after MDH approves the grant. The grant agreement must have all required signatures.

Is there a time limit for spending grant money?

Yes. You must spend the money within the terms of the grant agreement. Example: Grant award money from November 2017 must be spent by April 30, 2019.

How do I fill out the application?

In section called “work item”, describe the activity that you wish to complete. The activity must be acknowledged through correspondence with MDH. For each activity that you are planning, make sure you include the estimated cost of performing the activity and the corresponding cost-share.

What does a good budget look like?

A good budget:

  • Contains enough detail for the reviewers to understand how you will spend the money
  • Specifies a line item for each project task in the application
  • Is consistent with attached cost estimates

Does MDH require two bids or two quotes with the grant application?

No. You are not required to submit two bids or quotes with your grant application.

Do I need to sign the application form?

Yes. Make sure you sign the application. MDH does not score unsigned applications.

What does MDH consider a complete application?

A complete application includes five components:

  1. All fields on application filled out
  2. Required documents under 1d of the application
  3. A detailed budget for each work item
  4. Separate signed statement to support cost share
  5. Your signature

Will MDH review incomplete applications?

No. MDH will not review incomplete applications.

Can I submit an application before I see an official announcement from the grant program?

No. MDH only accepts grant applications during the period specified in schedule on the Source Water Protection Grants homepage.

What happens if an application gets lost in the mail or online?

MDH is not responsible for grant applications that get lost. If we do not receive your application, you will have to apply again.

Can I submit more than one application for the same category of grant at a time?

No. MDH will score only the first grant application received.

Can I apply for more than one of the same category of grant?

Yes. You can apply another grant within the same category once you receive final payment from MDH for the existing grant.

If I realize that I miscalculated the budget after I am awarded the grant, can I ask for more money?

No. Once you get a grant you cannot change the amount or the work items. You may have other options. You can refuse the grant and apply again with the correct amount in the next cycle. You can use your own funds to make up the difference.

Am I allowed to reallocate funds between budget lines?

You can reallocate up to 10% of the amount awarded for a category to another approved category. If it is under 10%, you do not need to get approval from MDH. If it is over 10%, you must submit a written or email request to MDH for approval.

Can I use the grant funds to pay fees for well sealing or well construction?

No. MDH will not reimburse you for inspection or permitting fees.

How do I include a signed statement or acknowledgment that proves availability of funds?

You can do one of the following:

  • Provide a statement that 1) confirms that you have the financial resources needed to provide the cash match for all of the activities in the grant application and 2) is signed and dated by the person who has authority to administer the grant.
  • Add the statement and signature/date by adding another page to the electronic grant application form and submitting it with the grant application.

What are the contractual requirements for being a grantee of MDH?

See example grant agreements at Grants Management Policies, Statutes and Forms

Can I use funding that I obtained from another grant to meet the cost share requirement for this grant?

Drinking Water Revolving Fund (DWRF), another state grant, or another Clean Water Fund grant cannot be used for the cost share.

Go to > top

Updated Wednesday, February 07, 2018 at 08:14AM