Drinking Water Protection
Minnesota Water Operators Training Schedule
Dates for Upcoming Waterworks Certification Exams in Minnesota
Subscribe to the Water Operators Training Schedule. You will be notified by e-mail when this page changes (new classes, changes to existing classes).
Applications must be received by no later than 15 days prior to the exam. Applications received after the deadline will not be processed.
(Click on the link for more information)
- March 3, 2016St. Cloud, 9:00 a.m. (deadline for exam application February 16)
- March 11, 2016Rochester, 9:00 a.m. (deadline for exam application February 28)
- April 7, 2016Minneapolis, 12:30 p.m. (deadline for exam application March 23)
- May 13, 2016Two Harbors, 9:00 a.m. (deadline for exam application April 28)
- June 24, 2016Alexandria, 9:00 a.m. (deadline for exam application June 9)
- October 19, 2016Shoreview, 1:00 p.m. (deadline for exam application October 4)
- October 20, 2016St. Cloud, 8:30 a.m. (deadline for exam application October 5)
- April 6, 2017Bloomington, 12:30 p.m. (deadline for exam application March 22)
- Minnesota AWWA Annual Conference
- Advanced Treatment Technologies Workshop
- Suburban Utility Superintendents Association (SUSA)
- Surface Water Treatment Workshop
- American Water Works Association Webinars
- Minnesota Rural Water Association
- University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Training at Anoka Technical College
- Midwest Assistance Program
- Hach Water & Wastewater Analysis Workshops
Download an Water Supply System Operator Exam
For more information on the examination schedule and exam preparation classes, contact Noel Hansen at 651-201-4690 or Mark Sloan at 651-201-4652.
Exam applications must be postmarked at
least 15 days prior to the exam.
To be eligible to take a certification exam,
applicants must have hands-on operations experience at a drinking water system.
Unless otherwise noted, participants will receive 16 credit hours for attendance at a three-day school water operators school and 6 credit hours for a one-day school.
Although exact dates vary from year to year, most districts in the Minnesota Section of AWWA have a regular schedule for one-day and three-day schools:
- Southeast District: conducts a three-day school (Wednesday to Friday) in Rochester in mid-March and a one-day school in Owatonna on a Friday in mid-October.
- Southwest District: conducts a one-day school in April and a school in August (normally a two-day water-wastewater school).
- Metro District: conducts a three-day school (Tuesday to Thursday) in early April, alternating between Bloomington and Minneapolis.
- Central District: conducts a three-day school (Wednesday to Friday) in June and a one-day school at St. John's University in Collegeville in October.
- Northeast District: conducts a three-day school (Wednesday to Friday) in mid-May.
- Northwest District: has been conducting a three-day school (Wednesday to Friday) in late October, alternating between Bemidji and Detroit Lakes; however, the district is considering holding its three-day school as a joint training function with the Central District in June.
* Includes certification exam
Upcoming Confirmed AWWA Schools
(schools for which exact dates have been scheduled)
Contact Brian LeMon, 952-832-2774, for more information.
September 20-23, 2016Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
September 12-15, 2017Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
September 18-21, 2018Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
September 17-20, 2019Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
September 22-25, 2020Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
Advanced Treatment Technologies Workshop
April 24, 2016, Ramada Plaza, Minneapolis. Registration form
Surface Water Treatment Workshop
April 25-27, 2016, Holiday Inn, Fargo. Contact Sarah Volk.
Training from Minnesota Rural Water Association (MRWA)
Participants will receive 16 contact hours for the three-day Technical Conference and 6 contact hours for the one-day schools. Contact Kyle Kedrowski at 800-367-6792 for more information.
December 2, 2015Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Waite Park
December 9, 2015Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Biwabik
*March 1-3, 2016Technical Conference, St. Cloud
April 12, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Elbow Lake
April 20, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Elk River
May 4, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Litchfield
May 25, 2016Line Tracing, Hermantown
June 16, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Wahkon
July 13, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Rushford
July 21, 2016Line Tracing, Chaska
August 16, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Fulda
August 30, 2016Line Tracing, Stillwater
September 1, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Thief River Falls
September 8, 2016Operator Expo, Waconia
September 28, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Zumbrota
October 5, 2016Cross Connection & Backflow Prevention, Monticello
October 6, 2016Cross Connection & Backflow Prevention, Faribault
*October 18-20, 2016Certification Refresher, St. Cloud
October 25, 2016Financing Your Community Projects, St. Cloud
November 9, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Glenville
November 30, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Waite Park
December 6, 2016Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Mountain Iron
Small Water System Workshops for Class D and Class E Water Operations Specialists
Specifically designed for nonmunicipal water systems and Class E operators, these classes are free for operators of any public water systems serving a population of fewer than 3,300.
December 9, 2015Maple Grove (Class E)
December 15, 2015Redwood Falls (Class E)
Note: Class D workshops, provided by Minnesota Rural Water Association and designed for Class D operators at nonmunicipal and noncommunity nontransient systems, are eight hours. The morning session of these is the same as a stand-alone four-hour workshop for Class E operators; thus, Class E operators may attend either the stand-alone four-hour workshop or the morning session of the Class D workshop.
Training at Anoka Technical College
For more information, contact Kristin Benson at 763-576-4955.
Training by Midwest Assistance Program
For more information, contact Jason Gorr at 218-562-4322.
Midwest Assistance Program (MAP) has two free workshops intended for utility operators, staff, city council members, and clerks. Participants will receive 5 contact hours for each workshop.
Hach Technical Training Center - Water and Wastewater Analysis Workshops
For more information, contact 800-227-4224, extension 2344.
University of Wisconsin - Madison
The University of Wisconsin, Madison Department of Engineering Professional Development offers multi-day courses for professionals, owners, and consultants interested in water and wastewater. For more information, contact Ned W. Paschke or call 800-462-0876 or 608-262-1299.
The Office of Water Programs, California State University, Sacramento provides distance learning courses for persons interested in the operation and maintenance of drinking water and wastewater facilities.
Go to > top.