Drinking Water Protection
Minnesota Water Operators Training Schedule
Dates for Upcoming Waterworks Certification Exams in Minnesota
Subscribe to the Water Operators Training Schedule. You will be notified by e-mail when this page changes (new classes, changes to existing classes).
Applications must be received by no later than 15 days prior to the exam. Applications received after the deadline will not be processed.
(Click on the link for more information)
- July 14, 2015Spring Grove, 1:00 p.m. (deadline for exam application June 29)
- August 4Mankato, 1:00 p.m. (deadline for exam application July 20)
- September 2, 2015Warren, 1:00 p.m. (deadline for exam application August 18)
- September 9, 2015Zumbrota, 1:00 p.m. (deadline for exam application August 25)
- October 16, 2015Owatonna, 1:00 p.m.
- October 21, 2015Shoreview, 1:00 p.m. (deadline for exam application October 6)
- October 28, 2015Bemidji, 9:00 a.m. (deadline for exam application October 13)
- October 29, 2015St. Cloud, 8:30 a.m. (deadline for exam application October 14)
- November 17, 2015Clarks Grove, 1:00 p.m. (deadline for exam application November 2)
- March 11, 2016Rochester, 9:00 a.m. (deadline for exam application February 28)
- April 7, 2016Minneapolis, 12:30 p.m. (deadline for exam application March 23)
- April 6, 2017Bloomington, 12:30 p.m. (deadline for exam application March 22)
- Minnesota AWWA Annual Conference
- Suburban Utility Superintendents Association (SUSA)
- American Water Works Association Webinars
- Minnesota Rural Water Association
- University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Training at Anoka Technical College
- Midwest Assistance Program
- Hach Water & Wastewater Analysis Workshops
Download an Water Supply System Operator Exam
For more information on the examination schedule and exam preparation classes, contact Noel Hansen at 651-201-4690 or Mark Sloan at 651-201-4652.
Exam applications must be postmarked at
least 15 days prior to the exam.
To be eligible to take a certification exam,
applicants must have hands-on operations experience at a drinking water system.
Unless otherwise noted, participants will receive 16 credit hours for attendance at a three-day school water operators school and 6 credit hours for a one-day school.
Although exact dates vary from year to year, most districts in the Minnesota Section of AWWA have a regular schedule for one-day and three-day schools:
- Southeast District: conducts a three-day school (Wednesday to Friday) in Rochester in mid-March and a one-day school in Owatonna on a Friday in mid-October.
- Southwest District: conducts a one-day school in April and a one-day school in August.
- Metro District: conducts a three-day school (Tuesday to Thursday) in early April, alternating between Bloomington and Minneapolis.
- Central District: conducts a three-day school (Wednesday to Friday) in June and a one-day school at St. John's University in Collegeville in October.
- Northeast District: conducts a three-day school (Wednesday to Friday) in mid-May.
- Northwest District: has been conducting a three-day school (Wednesday to Friday) in late October, alternating between Bemidji and Detroit Lakes; however, the district is considering holding its three-day school as a joint training function with the Central District in June.
Upcoming Confirmed AWWA Schools
(schools for which exact dates have been scheduled)
Contact Brian LeMon, 952-832-2774, for more information.
September 15-18, 2015Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
The following dates are tentative:
September 20-23, 2016Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
September 12-15, 2017Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
September 18-21, 2018Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
September 17-20, 2019Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
September 22-25, 2020Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.
Training from Minnesota Rural Water Association (MRWA)
Participants will receive 16 contact hours for the three-day Technical Conference and 6 contact hours for the one-day schools. Contact Kyle Kedrowski at 800-367-6792 for more information.
July 14, 2015Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Spring Grove
July 22, 2015Line Tracing, Medina
August 18, 2015Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Pipestone
August 25, 2015Line Tracing, Burnsville
September 2, 2015Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Warren
September 9, 2015Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Zumbrota
September 23, 2015Operator Expo, Waconia
October 7, 2015Cross Connection and Backflow Prevention, Little Falls
October 8, 2015Cross Connection and Backflow Prevention, Mankato
October 27-29, 2015Certification Refresher and Exam, St. Cloud
November 4, 2015Financing Your Community Projects, St. Peter
November 17, 2015Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Clarks Grove
December 2, 2015Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Waite Park
December 9, 2015Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance Training, Biwabik
Small Water System Workshops for Class D and Class E Water Operations Specialists
Specifically designed for nonmunicipal water systems and Class E operators, these classes are free for operators of any public water systems serving a population of fewer than 3,300.
July 21, 2015St. Cloud (Class E)
September 1, 2015Jordan (Class D)
September 29, 2015Ramsey (Class D)
November 24, 2015Rochester (Class E)
December 9, 2015Maple Grove (Class E)
December 15, 2015Redwood Falls (Class E)
Note: Class D workshops, provided by Minnesota Rural Water Association and designed for Class D operators at nonmunicipal and noncommunity nontransient systems, are eight hours. The morning session of these is the same as a stand-alone four-hour workshop for Class E operators; thus, Class E operators may attend either the stand-alone four-hour workshop or the morning session of the Class D workshop.
Training at Anoka Technical College
For more information, contact Kristin Benson at 763-576-4955.
Training by Midwest Assistance Program
For more information, contact Jason Gorr at 218-562-4322.
Midwest Assistance Program (MAP) has two free workshops intended for utility operators, staff, city council members, and clerks. Participants will receive 5 contact hours for each workshop.
Hach Technical Training Center - Water and Wastewater Analysis Workshops
For more information, contact 800-227-4224, extension 2344.
University of Wisconsin - Madison
The University of Wisconsin, Madison Department of Engineering Professional Development offers multi-day courses for professionals, owners, and consultants interested in water and wastewater. For more information, contact Ned W. Paschke or call 800-462-0876 or 608-262-1299.
The Office of Water Programs, California State University, Sacramento provides distance learning courses for persons interested in the operation and maintenance of drinking water and wastewater facilities.
Go to > top.