Top Ten Tips for Hearing and Vision Screening
1) Make sure the testing area is quiet.
2) Make sure the audiometer is calibrated.
3) Make sure child understands instructions.
4) Tester should have poker face.
5) Recheck results before referral (unless pain or discharge noted).
6) Use 20 foot Snellen and 10 foot HOTV chart. Keep eye chart at eye level.
7) Make sure child does not peak.
8) Do not isolate letters, show whole line at a time.
9) Reverse letter order on a line to prevent memorization.
10) Remember to check if there is a 2 line difference.