Preconception and Interconception Health
What are Preconception and Interconception Health?
These terms refer to the state of a woman’s health before and between pregnancies.
Preconception and interconception health care is a set of interventions to identify and modify biomedical, behavioral and social risks to a woman’s health or pregnancy outcome through prevention and management. The goal of the care is two-fold: improve the woman’s health and help reduce health risks to her future baby.
(adapted from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Recommendations to Improve Preconception Care and Health Care at: http://www.cdc.gov/preconception/index.html, and the March of Dimes at: www.marchofdimes.com/)
Maternal and Child Health staff has collaborated with many partners to sponsor four annual Preconception Conferences, the most recent are archived below.
4th Annual Preconception Conference Archive
"What’s Weight Got To Do With It?"
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
1:30 p.m. - 3 p.m.
3rd Annual Preconception Conference Archive
"Achieving Preconception Health: Optimizing Family and Physical Environments"
Thursday, October 8, 2009
9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Do families think about preconception health? Do we have environments that support preconception health? How can all of us attend to the needs of families and assure the kinds of environments that promote healthy pregnancy?
Planning for a pregnancy and being in good health before pregnancy are essential steps in promoting healthy pregnancy and birth outcomes. Even the best prenatal care cannot, in seven or eight months, correct all of the poor health and environmental circumstances that could affect fetal development, birth outcomes and lifelong health conditions of both the mother and infant.
- Welcome (PDF: 229KB/5 pages)
- Fathers, Families and Preconception Health (PDF: 21KB/8 pages)
- Environmental Clairvoyance – How does in utero environmental exposure predict your future? (PDF: 3.68MB/21 pages)
- Integrative Therapies and Preconception Health (PDF: 172KB/22 pages)
- Giving Everyone a Healthy Start (PDF: 115KB/6 pages)
- Environmental Toxicants and Maternal and Child Health: An Emerging Public Health Challenge (PDF: 1827KB/8 pages)
- References for Preconception and Interconception Health Care (PDF: 22KB/1 page)
- Preconceptional Care (PCC) Visit Recommendations (PDF: 132KB/5 pages)
- March of Dimes 10 Steps to Getting Healthy Before Pregnancy (PDF: 54KB/2 pages)