Vision Screening Online Training Program
Here are the steps to using the ophthalmoscope correctly:
- Screw the head securely onto the power base until it clicks into place.
- Turn the ophthalmoscope on
- The power base will have either a red or green button on the rim the power base.
- Press the red button down or green button in, as you twist the button clockwise around the rim.
- Point the side of the ophthalmoscope without the eye rest towards your hand.
- You should be able to see a light in the palm of your hand.
- Put the side with the eye rest to your eye and move the palm of your hand so your arm is extended.
- Turn the vertical dial with your thumb until it is on the "0" setting
(refer to the illustration)
- Find the "large circle of light" by turning the horizontal dial with your
thumb (refer to the illustration)
- Attempt to visualize the creases in the palm of your hand through the ophthalmoscope lens.
- View the eye with the ophthalmoscope following the Red Reflex procedure.
*Important: Keep a distance of about 12 inches between you and the child.