MINNESOTA MEDICAL HOME
What is Medical Home?
The American Academy of Pediatrics introduced the medical home concept in 1967, further describing it in 2002 as a model of delivering primary care that is:
- Compassionate, and
- Culturally effective
Medical Home is an approach to primary care where primary providers, families and patients work in partnership to improve quality and value in the health care system, and improve health outcomes for individuals with chronic health conditions and disabilities.
This approach improves the way the individual clinicians and the clinic systems work with and meet the needs of all individuals with chronic, complex health conditions or disabilities using the following tools and strategies:
- Developing trusting relationships with patients/families
- Partnering with and learning from patients and families
- Using a team approach for the care of chronic conditions, which includes planned, proactive visits
- Coordinating care
- Co-managing with patients/families and specialists
- Assisting with transitions
- Providing connections with community organizations
- Is satisfying for patients/families, providers and clinic staff
- Continuously works on quality improvement