How Can WIC Improve Your Health?
- How does WIC improve the health of pregnant women?
- How does WIC improve the health of infants?
- How does WIC improve the health of children?
- How does WIC save health care money?
How does WIC improve the health of pregnant women?
Studies show that pregnant women on WIC:
- Eat more of the foods that provide key nutrients (like vitamin A, vitamin C and iron) needed for babies to grow and develop well.
- See doctors earlier during their pregnancies.
- Have more babies delivered full term.
- Have more babies born at a healthy weight.
How does WIC improve the health of infants?
Studies show that for infants whose mothers were on WIC during their pregnancy:
- Infant mortality is reduced.
- More babies are born without significant health problems.
- Breastfeeding help and support.
- Formula with iron for babies who are not being breastfed.
- Information about starting solid foods at the right time and in the right way.
- Support for weaning from the bottle at the right age to protect your baby's teeth.
- Parenting support.
How does WIC improve the health of children?
Studies show that children on WIC:
- Eat more of the foods that provide key nutrients (like vitamin A, vitamin C and iron).
- Are more likely to grow and develop well during childhood.
- Have better blood iron levels (less iron-deficiency anemia), which help children to grow well, have energy and learn better.
- Are more likely to get their shots on time.
- Are more likely to see a doctor regularly for check-ups.
- Are better with words and have a better memory for numbers.
How does WIC save health care money?
Studies show that:
- $1.77 to $3.13 is saved in Medicaid costs for every $1.00 the WIC program spends serving pregnant women.
- Pregnant women on WIC have fewer babies that weigh too little (less than 5 and 1/2 pounds) when born. It costs an extra $30,000 to $70,000 to help a small baby grow to a normal weight.
To find the phone # of a WIC Clinic near you, select one of the following:
Or call 1-800-WIC-4030 (1-800-942-4030)
Don't delay...we're here to help.