Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Information and Resources for Local Agencies
MN WIC Program
Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meetings
Only training in MN and adjacent states is listed here. MN WIC breastfeeding coordinator calls and meetings are also listed.
- November 14, 2014 (Eau Claire, WI) Helping Mothers Reach Their Breastfeeding Potential. Dr Jenny Thomas, MPH, MD, FAAP, IBCLC and Colette M Acker, BS, IBCLC. NW WI BF Network (NWBN) Conference
- November 20th, 2014 (Wadena, MN) Promoting Infant Nutrition: Giving Moms the Best Start. Speakers Chris Clark, IBCLC and Stephanie Rodriguez-Moser, IBCLC. To register or for more information contact Kris Wallgren at 218-632-8781 or email@example.com
- Dec. 15-19, 2014 (Neenah, WI) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc.
- March 2-6, 2015. (Brainerd, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course. Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc.
- March 12-13, 2015 (Appleton, WI) WALC Annual Breastfeeding Conference.
- March 30-April 3, 2015. (Duluth, MN) Foundations for Best Practice in Lactation. The Five-Day Course. http://www.evergreenperinataleducation.com/ Molly Pessl, BSN, IBCLC. On-line registration.
- May 1/ 2, 2015 (St Louis Park, MN) Safe Sleep Seven and other breastfeeding topics. Diane Wiessinger. http://www.lllofmndas.org/2015-spring-conference.html. For more information contact Anne Ferguson at LLLAnneMN@gmail.com or 651-261-4738.
- May 11-15, 2015. (Minneapolis, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course. Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc.
- May 20-21, 2015 (Des Moines, IA) 26th Annual Breastfeeding Conference. Sponsored by UnityPoint Health Des Moines and Iowas WIC. For more information: Dina Wendelin at (515) 241-5771 or Dina.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 12, 2015. (Stevens Point, WI) Wisconsin Breastfeeding Coalition Summit.
- October 22/23, 2015. (Location TBD) Hold the date for Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition Annual Meeting and workshop.
- March 3-4, 2016 (Location TBD, WI.) WALC Annual Breastfeeding Conference.
Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Technical assistance available to MN WIC staff by phone, email or a site-visit. Contact Mary B. Johnson at email@example.com or 651-201-4406.
- Loving Support workshops can be scheduled for 2014, when requested by MN local WIC programs. This workshop focuses on Three-Step Counseling and addresses the counseling process rather than specific management of breastfeeding. We will discuss how the counselor can work with clients to:
• Identify potential barriers and strengths related to breastfeeding;
• Address the barriers and reassure the client; and
• Provide information relevant to the client.
This training will provide you with the opportunity to learn and practice a technique for breastfeeding counseling which can be used for counseling on other nutrition topics. While geared primarily for new CPA staff and those not able to attend an earlier workshop, any CPA who would like a review is welcome, as are your community partners (representatives from hospitals, clinics, LLL, other breastfeeding advocates). Please make sure everyone is registered. There is no charge for the training. CEUs available.
To schedule a workshop in your community contact Mary Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-4406 if you would like a workshop in your community. You are welcome to invite your community partners.
This information is provided to encourage WIC staff and others to develop their knowledge of lactation-related issues, for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization. If you know of other lactation-related training opportunities in Minnesota or Border States, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and include as much information as you can about date, location, topics, who to contact for more information, and a URL if available.
Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Although the MN State WIC Program has provided these links as additional potential sources for breastfeeding continuing education, this information is for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization.
- Global Online Discussion (Offers online conference each May)
- Case Western Breastfeeding Basics On-Line Course ("Breastfeeding Basics is an academic, non-commercial, short course on the fundamentals of breastfeeding.")