Breastfeeding Continuing Education
WIC Program Information and Resources for Local Agencies
Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meetings
Only training in MN and adjacent states is listed here. MN WIC breastfeeding coordinator calls and meetings are also listed.
- January 14 and 15, 2014. (Phone.) WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Calls. See Wednesday Update for more information.
- January 17, 2014. (Metro, MN) Metro Breastfeeding Meeting. A non-commercial networking meeting. Location TBD. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 17, 2014. (Metro, MN) Metro WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators Meeting. WIC Only. Location TBD. Watch for email with more information.
- January 20, 2014. (St Cloud, MN) Breastfeeding: New Pathways for Evidence-based Practice. http://pesihealthcare.com/search/detail/index.aspx?eventid=21817
- January 21, 2014. (Roseville, MN) Breastfeeding: New Pathways for Evidence-based Practice. http://pesihealthcare.com/search/detail/index.aspx?sessionid=&eventid=21818
- January 22, 2014. (Eagan, MN) Breastfeeding: New Pathways for Evidence-based Practice. http://pesihealthcare.com/search/detail/index.aspx?sessionid=&eventid=21819
- February 23- 28, 2014. (Woodbury, MN) Lactation Management Course – Prepare for the IBCLC exam Registration and information: http://www.jmbirthconsultants.com/workshops/lactationcourses.html
- March 6 & 7, 2014. (Appleton, WI) Wisconsin Association of Lactation Consultants Conference. Topics and speakers:
- Ethics & Postpartum Depression, Cynthia Good Mojab, MS Clinical Psychology, IBCLC; Assessment of the Breastfed Dyad, Anatomy & Physiology of
- Lactation: Over & Under Supply, Breast & Nipple Assessment, Elizabeth Myler, BS, BSN, RN, IBCLC
- Supporting Mothers With Mammary Hypoplasia/Insufficient Tissue, Abnormal Jaundice/Hemolytic Disease of Newborn, Making Breastfeeding Work at Work. Diana Cassar-Uhl, MPH, IBCLC & La Leche League Leader
- April 7-11, 2014. (Buffalo, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc/clc2.htm
- May 2 &/or 3, 2014. (Bloomington, MN) Supporting Today’s Mothers. Featured speaker Nancy Mohrbacher. For more information: http://www.lllofmndas.org/2014-spring-conference.html
- May or June 2014. (Online) Gold Lactation Online Conference. For more information and to sign up for the newsletter to be notified of 2014 dates go to: http://www.goldconf.com/.
- May 14-15, 2014. (Des Moines, Iowa) 25th Annual Iowa Breastfeeding Conference. For more information contact Dina Wendelin: email@example.com
- May 16-17, 2014. (Metro, MN) Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course. Focus on preventing childhood obesity through family engagement and policy. Half day workshop on motivational interviewing.
- May 19-23, 2014. (Crookston, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc/clc2.htm
- June 13, 2014 (Stevens Point Area, WI) Wisconsin Breastfeeding Coalition Summit. Focus: Maternity Care Practices.
- June 16 – 20, 2014 (Pipestone, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc/clc2.htm
- September 15-19, 2014 (St Paul, MN). Foundations for Best Practice in Lactation Care. The 5 Day Course. Presented by Evergreen Perinatal Education, hosted by Fairview Health Services. For more information contact Mark Spitzack at MSPITZA1@Fairview.org or 612-672-4119.
- October 23, 2014. (Fargo, ND) 2014 ND Biennial Breastfeeding Conference. Fargo-Moorhead Area Breastfeeding Association. For more information: Janis.firstname.lastname@example.org
- September 29 or 30, 2014. (Metro, MN) Statewide WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators Meeting. 12:00 – 4:30.
- September 29 & 30, 2014. (TBD, Metro) Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition (MBC) 7th Annual Statewide Meeting and Workshop. Registration and additional information will be on the MBC web site: http://mnbreastfeedingcoalition.org/.
Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Technical assistance available to MN WIC staff by phone, email or a site-visit. Contact Mary B. Johnson at email@example.com or 651-201-4406.
- Loving Support workshops can be scheduled for 2014, when requested by MN local WIC programs. This workshop focuses on Three-Step Counseling and addresses the counseling process rather than specific management of breastfeeding. We will discuss how the counselor can work with clients to:
- Identify potential barriers and strengths related to breastfeeding;
- Address the barriers and reassure the client; and
- Provide information relevant to the client.
This training will provide you with the opportunity to learn and practice a technique for breastfeeding counseling which can be used for counseling on other nutrition topics. While geared primarily for new CPA staff and those not able to attend an earlier workshop, any CPA who would like a review is welcome, as are your community partners (representatives from hospitals, clinics, LLL, other breastfeeding advocates). Please make sure everyone is registered. There is no charge for the training. CEUs available.
To schedule a workshop in your community contact Mary Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-4406 if you would like a workshop in your community. You are welcome to invite your community partners.
This information is provided to encourage WIC staff and others to develop their knowledge of lactation-related issues, for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization. If you know of other lactation-related training opportunities in Minnesota or Border States, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and include as much information as you can about date, location, topics, who to contact for more information, and a URL if available.
Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Although the MN State WIC Program has provided these links as additional potential sources for breastfeeding continuing education, this information is for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization.
- List of Breastfeeding Conferences by State
- International Lactation Consultant Association Directory of Lactation Course Providers
- Evergreen Perinatal Education
- Bright Futures Lactation Resource Center
- Global Online Discussion (Offers online conference each May)
- Lactation Education Resources
- La Leche League Peer Counselor Program
- The Lactation Institute's Lactation Educator Certificate Program
- Lactation Education Consultants (Certified lactation Specialist and Two-Day Cram Review Courses)
- Case Western Breastfeeding Basics On-Line Course ("Breastfeeding Basics is an academic, non-commercial, short course on the fundamentals of breastfeeding.")
- International Lactation Consultant Association Independent Study Modules