Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Information and Resources for Local Agencies
MN WIC Program
On this page:
- Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding coordinator meetings
- Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Other related topics:
Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meetings
Only training in MN and adjacent states is listed here. MN WIC breastfeeding coordinator calls and meetings are also listed.
Save the dates. Additional information will be posted when available.
- September 12-16, 2016 (St. Paul, MN) Foundations for Best Practice in Lactation Care. Course description and Registration: https://www.mhealth.org/Patients-and-Visitors/Professional-Education-in-Breastfeeding-and-Lactation. For information, contact Mark Spitzack firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building Bridges for Breastfeeding Duration. This workshop is offered twice in one day, an afternoon or morning session. Please share with your networks.
• September 27, 2016 (Minneapolis, MN) Abbott Northwestern Hospital. NEW LOCATION: Minnesota Church Center. Get registration form and full information at allinahealth.org/classes, Search for keyword "Bridges." Email: Janelle.email@example.com with questions
- Evening Brainstorming and Discussion Session: Breastfeeding Promotion, Support and Resources in the Somali Community. An evening discussion session open to all. (registration required) Come with ideas and questions to share around addressing the breastfeeding needs of Somali Minnesotans. Light snack provided. To register use the registration link above or see the flyer below.
• September 28, 2016 (Wyoming MN). Register by phone through Fairview On Call 612-672-7272 or online.
- For 8 am class use this link https://www.onlineregistrationcenter.com/register/222/page1.asp?m=303&c=7213
- For 1 pm class use this link https://www.onlineregistrationcenter.com/register/222/page1.asp?m=303&c=7215
- September, 27, 2016 (Grand Forks, ND) North Dakota Breastfeeding-Friendly Skills Training. Skills include skin-to-skin, latch and position, hand expression, supplementation, pumps, and positive messaging. FREE. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for registration
- September 28, 2016 (Wadena, MN) Provider workshop. 5:30 pm. Speaker Dr Pamela Heggie. CMEs available. For more information: Stephanie Rodriguez-Moser 218-894-8846.
- September 29, 2016 (Wadena, MN) Speaker Amy Peterson, IBCLC. CERPs and CEUs available. For more information: Stephanie Rodriguez-Moser 218-894-8846.
- October 20, 2016. (Minot, ND) North Dakota Biennial Breastfeeding Conference, Speaker Nancy Mohrbacher.
- October 24-25, 2016 (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) Excellence in Care with the Ten Steps. Registration: https://www.mhealth.org/Patients-and-Visitors/Professional-Education-in-Breastfeeding-and-Lactation. Questions? Contact Mark Spitzak at MSPITZA1@Fairview.org
- October 27, 2016 (Maplewood, MN) Statewide WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meeting. Keller Golf Course. Watch the Wednesday Update for more information.
- October 27, 2016 (Maplewood, MN) Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition Workshop. For registration and more information see Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition website.
- October 28, 2016, (Maplewood, MN) Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition Statewide Meeting. For registration and more information see Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition website.
- October 31- November 4, 2016 (Minneapolis, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC) http://www.healthychildren.cc/
- November 3 and 4, 2016 (Milwaukee, WI) La Leche League of Wisconsin Continuing Education Event. Speaker Molly Pessl. For more information and registration http://lllofwi.org/
- November 29 & 30, 2016 (Mankato Area.) Grow & Glow Training. We are seeking a training facility in the Mankato Area. Registration information available soon. At this time WIC staff only.
- January 30 – February 4, 2017. (Woodbury, MN) Lactation Management Course. For more information or to register contact Marilyn Hildreth at 605-691-5808 also see http://www.jmbirthconsultants.com/workshops/lactationcourses.html
- March 8 & 9, 2017 (St Cloud, MN) Grow & Glow Training. St Cloud District Office. Registration coming soon. At this time open to WIC staff only.
- April 10-14, 2017 (Rochester, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC) http://www.healthychildren.cc/
- April 28-29, 2017. (Minneapolis, MN). LaLeche League if MN / DAs spring conference. For more information: http://www.lllofmndas.org/2017-spring-conference.html.
Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Technical assistance available to MN WIC staff by phone, email or a site-visit. Contact Mary B. Johnson at email@example.com or 651-201-4406.
- Loving Support workshops can be scheduled for 2017, when requested by MN local WIC programs. This workshop focuses on Three-Step Counseling and addresses the counseling process rather than specific management of breastfeeding. We will discuss how the counselor can work with clients to:
• Identify potential barriers and strengths related to breastfeeding;
• Address the barriers and reassure the client; and
• Provide information relevant to the client.
This training will provide you with the opportunity to learn and practice a technique for breastfeeding counseling which can be used for counseling on other nutrition topics. While geared primarily for new CPA staff and those not able to attend an earlier workshop, any CPA who would like a review is welcome, as are your community partners (representatives from hospitals, clinics, LLL, other breastfeeding advocates). Please make sure everyone is registered. There is no charge for the training. CEUs available.
To schedule a workshop in your community contact Mary Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-4406 if you would like a workshop in your community. You are welcome to invite your community partners.
This information is provided to encourage WIC staff and others to develop their knowledge of lactation-related issues, for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization. If you know of other lactation-related training opportunities in Minnesota or Border States, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and include as much information as you can about date, location, topics, who to contact for more information, and a URL if available.
Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Although the MN State WIC Program has provided these links as additional potential sources for breastfeeding continuing education, this information is for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization.
Global Online Discussion (Offers online conference each May)