Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Information and Resources for Local Agencies
MN WIC Program
On this page:
- Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding coordinator meetings
- Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Other related topics:
Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meetings
Only training in MN and adjacent states is listed here. MN WIC breastfeeding coordinator calls and meetings are also listed.
Save the dates. Additional information will be posted when available.
- February 19-20, 2016 (Madison, WI) Breastfeeding Champion Training for Outpatient Breastfeeding Supporters. https://themilkmob.org
- March 3-4, 2016 (Appleton, WI.) WALC Annual Breastfeeding Conference. http://www.walc.net
- March 17, 2016 (Teleconference) 10th Annual Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition Statewide Local Breastfeeding Coalitions Teleconference. The MBC will send information to the designated Minnesota local coalition contact. If you are interested in forming a coalition in your community or joining a local coalition see the list of MN coalitions on the MBC website http://mnbreastfeedingcoalition.org/bfa-in-mn/ and/or send an email to the Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition at firstname.lastname@example.org
- April 4-8, 2016 (Milwaukee, WI) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC) http://www.healthychildren.cc/
- April 11, 2016 (Your desk.) Free keynote presentation. The 2016 Gold Lactation Conference - online conference April 11 - June 6
- April 11-15, 2016 (Bemidji, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course. Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc.
- April 11 -16, 2016 (Your desk.) The 2016 Gold Lactation Conference - online conference April 11 - June 6
- April 15-16, 2016 (St Louis Park, MN) La Leche League of Minnesota and the Dakotas Spring Conference with Catherine Watson Genna, LLLL, BS, IBCLC. Topics include "The Non-Latching Infant," "Reflux, GERD and Breastfeeding," "Infant Oral Assessment," "Synthesizing Sucking Research," "Introduction to Sensory Progressing and Breastfeeding" and much more! Registration and information: http://www.lllofmndas.org/2016-spring-conference.html More questions? Contact LLLAnneMN@gmail.com
- April 21-22, 2016 (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) Excellence in Care with the Ten Steps. Registration: http://go.fairview.org/babyfriendlycourse Questions? Contact Mark Spitzak at MSPITZA1@Fairview.org
- April 27 and 28, 2016. (Your desk.) MN WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Calls. Conference code will be sent in the Wednesday Update.
• April 27, 2016, 9:00 am
• April 27, 2016, 3:30 pm
• April 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
• April 28, 2016 3:30 pm
- April 29, 2016 (Location TBD) Metro Breastfeeding Meeting / Metro WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meeting.
- May 18-19, 2016. (Des Moines, Iowa) The 27th Annual Iowa Breastfeeding Conference. Speakers Lisa Marasco and Cathy Carothers. To register please visit www.unitypoint.org after March 1st. Questions? Contact Melinda.Brightman@unitypoint.org or (515) 241-8205.
- May 16-20, 2016 (Bismarck, ND) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC) http://www.healthychildren.cc/
- May 19, 2016 (Metro, MN) Summit for Hospital Leadership. Invitation only. For more information see Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition website.
- May 23-27, 2016 (Ashland, WI) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC) http://www.healthychildren.cc
- September 12-16, 2016 (TENTATIVE, Metro, MN) Foundations for Best Practice in Lactation Care. For information, contact Mark Spitzack email@example.com
- October 20, 2016. (Minot, ND) North Dakota Biennial Breastfeeding Conference, Speaker Nancy Mohrbacher.
- October 24-25, 2016 (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) Excellence in Care with the Ten Steps. Registration: http://go.fairview.org/babyfriendlycourse Questions? Contact Mark Spitzak at MSPITZA1@Fairview.org
- October 27, 2016 (Metro, MN Location TBD) Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition Workshop. For more information see Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition website.
- October 28, 2016, (Metro, MN Location TBD) Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition Statewide Meeting. For more information see Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition website.
Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Technical assistance available to MN WIC staff by phone, email or a site-visit. Contact Mary B. Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-4406.
- Loving Support workshops can be scheduled for 2014, when requested by MN local WIC programs. This workshop focuses on Three-Step Counseling and addresses the counseling process rather than specific management of breastfeeding. We will discuss how the counselor can work with clients to:
• Identify potential barriers and strengths related to breastfeeding;
• Address the barriers and reassure the client; and
• Provide information relevant to the client.
This training will provide you with the opportunity to learn and practice a technique for breastfeeding counseling which can be used for counseling on other nutrition topics. While geared primarily for new CPA staff and those not able to attend an earlier workshop, any CPA who would like a review is welcome, as are your community partners (representatives from hospitals, clinics, LLL, other breastfeeding advocates). Please make sure everyone is registered. There is no charge for the training. CEUs available.
To schedule a workshop in your community contact Mary Johnson at email@example.com or 651-201-4406 if you would like a workshop in your community. You are welcome to invite your community partners.
This information is provided to encourage WIC staff and others to develop their knowledge of lactation-related issues, for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization. If you know of other lactation-related training opportunities in Minnesota or Border States, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and include as much information as you can about date, location, topics, who to contact for more information, and a URL if available.
Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Although the MN State WIC Program has provided these links as additional potential sources for breastfeeding continuing education, this information is for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization.
Global Online Discussion (Offers online conference each May)