Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Information and Resources for Local Agencies
MN WIC Program
On this page:
- Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding coordinator meetings
- Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Other related topics:
Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meetings
Only training in MN and adjacent states is listed here. MN WIC breastfeeding coordinator calls and meetings are also listed.
- August 11, 2015. (Detroit Lakes, MN) Building Bridges for Breastfeeding Duration. This ½ day program is designed to build a bridge between the hospital and follow-up care for the mother-baby dyad after discharge. Emphasis is on the importance of support for the breastfeeding couplet during the first two days. This course is evidence based and updated annually. Offered free of charge. One session in the afternoon. For more information see the LEC website and the registration flyer.
- August 12, 2015. (Thief River Falls, MN) Building Bridges for Breastfeeding Duration. This ½ day program is designed to build a bridge between the hospital and follow-up care for the mother-baby dyad after discharge. Emphasis is on the importance of support for the breastfeeding couplet during the first two days. This course is evidence based and updated annually. Offered free of charge. Two sessions available, morning or afternoon. For more information see the LEC website and the registration flyer.
- August 12-14, 2015. (Minneapolis, MN) 2015 National Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course. This continuing education program focuses on the improvement of maternal and infant health through the delivery of risk-appropriate, high-quality, nutrition services. Topics include Vitamin D in Pregnancy and Lactation, Environmental & Policy Approaches to Breastfeeding Promotion and Support, and Promoting Breastfeeding among Obese Women. It is designed for dietitians, nutritionists, certified nurse midwives, registered nurses and nurse practitioners, physicians and public health professionals who serve preconceptual, pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women. For more information and registration: http://sph.umn.edu/ce/mnic/.
- September 14-18, 2015. (St Paul, MN) Foundations for Best Practice in Lactation Care-The 5-Day Course. Evergreen Perinatal Education. Molly Pessl and Ginna Wall. Hosted by Fairview Health Services. For more information contact Mark Spitzack email@example.com or 612-672-4119 or www.fairview.org/lactationcourse.
- September 17, 2015. (Green Bay, WI) The Secrets of Baby Behavior. UC Davis Human Lactation Center Staff, Rock Gardens – Comfort Suites Information and Registration.
- September 18, 2015. (Wauwatosa, WI) The Secrets of Baby Behavior. UC Davis Human Lactation Center Staff, Wheaton Franciscan Wauwatosa, Information and Registration.
- October 8, 2015. (Frederic, WI) Polk County WI Breastfeeding Coalition Breastfeeding Conference: A Day in the Woods with Dr Jen. Speakers Dr Jennifer Thomas and Chris Clark. Topics Birth Weight, Bilirubin, and Blood Sugar: What do the Numbers Mean for Newborn Care? Using a Physiologic Approach to Help Mother with a Low Milk Supply. Why Not Just One Bottle: The Science behind Exclusive Breastfeeding. Region’s successful journey to Baby Friendly Hospital Designation. For more information contact Melanie at 715-485-8551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 12-16, 2015. (Minneapolis, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course. Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc.
- October 15, 2015 (Milwaukee, WI) MCBC/AABN Educational Event, Breastfeeding and Marijuana Use, Dr Jenny Thomas, Contact: email@example.com.
- October 22/23, 2015. (Duluth, MN) Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition 8th Annual Workshop and Statewide Meeting. Guest speaker for both: Marsha Walker. For more information: http://mnbreastfeedingcoalition.org/annualmeetings/
• October 22, 2015. Workshop. Baby-Friendly® and Beyond: The Continuum of Lactation Care - Clinic, Hospital, Community
• October 23, 2015. 8th Annual Statewide Meeting. Every Baby, Every Family, Every One of Us.
- November 13, 2015 (Metro, location TBD) Metro Breastfeeding Meeting / Metro WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meeting.
- November 19, 2015 (Staples, MN) The Art and Science of Breastfeeding. Dr. E. Stephen Buescher. For information and registration contact Stephanie Rodriguez-Moser at 218-894-8846.
- March 3-4, 2016 (Location TBD, WI.) WALC Annual Breastfeeding Conference.
- May 2016 MN LLL Conference
Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Technical assistance available to MN WIC staff by phone, email or a site-visit. Contact Mary B. Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-4406.
- Loving Support workshops can be scheduled for 2014, when requested by MN local WIC programs. This workshop focuses on Three-Step Counseling and addresses the counseling process rather than specific management of breastfeeding. We will discuss how the counselor can work with clients to:
• Identify potential barriers and strengths related to breastfeeding;
• Address the barriers and reassure the client; and
• Provide information relevant to the client.
This training will provide you with the opportunity to learn and practice a technique for breastfeeding counseling which can be used for counseling on other nutrition topics. While geared primarily for new CPA staff and those not able to attend an earlier workshop, any CPA who would like a review is welcome, as are your community partners (representatives from hospitals, clinics, LLL, other breastfeeding advocates). Please make sure everyone is registered. There is no charge for the training. CEUs available.
To schedule a workshop in your community contact Mary Johnson at email@example.com or 651-201-4406 if you would like a workshop in your community. You are welcome to invite your community partners.
This information is provided to encourage WIC staff and others to develop their knowledge of lactation-related issues, for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization. If you know of other lactation-related training opportunities in Minnesota or Border States, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and include as much information as you can about date, location, topics, who to contact for more information, and a URL if available.
Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Although the MN State WIC Program has provided these links as additional potential sources for breastfeeding continuing education, this information is for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization.
- Global Online Discussion (Offers online conference each May)
- Case Western Breastfeeding Basics On-Line Course ("Breastfeeding Basics is an academic, non-commercial, short course on the fundamentals of breastfeeding.")