Breastfeeding Continuing Education
WIC Program Information and Resources for Local Agencies
Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meetings
Only training in MN and adjacent states is listed here. MN WIC breastfeeding coordinator calls and meetings are also listed.
- April 7-11, 2014. (Buffalo, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc/clc2.htm
- April 15, 2014 (Minnetonka, MN) Labor, Birth and Beyond: How the Support Team Can Impact Breastfeeding. Speaker professions include: Certified Nurse Midwife, Certified Doula, Certified Educator in Infant Development, IBCLCs, and Chiropractor. For more information and to register: www.allaboutlactation.com or email@example.com
- April 29, 2014. (Fergus Falls, MN) WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meeting. Watch the Wednesday Update for more information. Please send discussion topics to firstname.lastname@example.org
- April 27-29, 2014 (WI Dells, WI ) WAPC 2014 Annual Conference, Glacier Canyon Conference Ctr. http://www.wapcperinatalconference.org/
- April/ May 2014. (Online) Gold Lactation Online Conference. Gold Lactation Conference early bird registration began Feb 14. The conference runs April 14 to May 31, 2014, online. For more information and to sign up for the newsletter go to: http://www.goldconf.com/.
- May 2 &/or 3, 2014. (Bloomington, MN) Supporting Today’s Mothers. Featured speaker Nancy Mohrbacher. For more information: http://www.lllofmndas.org/2014-spring-conference.html
- May 6, 2014 (Marshfield, WI) Building Bridges to Breastfeeding Success St Joseph’s Hospital, http://www.woodcountybreastfeeding.org/
- May 7, 2014 (Wisconsin Rapids, WI) Building Bridges to Breastfeeding Success, Riverview Hospital http://www.woodcountybreastfeeding.org/
- May 13-14, 2014. (Burnsville, MN). Excellence in Care with the Ten Steps. Evidence-based infant feeding policies and practices in the hospital or clinic. Provides the education cornerstone for hospitals who wish to pursue the designation of "Baby-Friendly". Sponsored by Fairview. Presented by Evergreen Perinatal Education. Limited to Fairview staff, but open to others after May 1 if space permits. For more info: www.evergreenperintaleducation.com. Contact Mark Spitzack: email@example.com or 612-672-4119.
- May 14-15, 2014. (Des Moines, Iowa) 25th Annual Iowa Breastfeeding Conference.
- May 14 preconference: Topics and speakers include:
- Why Not Just One Bottle-Dr. Jennifer Thomas
- May 15 conference. Topics and speakers:The brochure will be available on line in early March at www.unitypoint.org/info. For more information contact Dina Wendelin: firstname.lastname@example.org. or 515-241-5771.
- Birth Weight, Bilirubin and Blood Sugar: What do the numbers mean for newborn care - Dr. Jennifer Thomas
- Perinatal Neuroscience and Skin-to-Skin Contact - Dr. Nils Bergman
- Kangaroo Mother Care: Restoring the Original Paradigm for Infant Care - Dr. Nil Bergman
- A Neurobehavioral Approach to Breastfeeding - Dr. Nils Bergman
- May 14-15, 2014. (Des Moines, Iowa) 25th Annual Iowa Breastfeeding Conference. For more information contact Dina Wendelin: email@example.com
- May 15-16, 2014 (St. Paul, MN). Clinical Applications in Lactation Care Two-day, practice-oriented intensive course. Sponsored by Fairview. Presented by Evergreen Perinatal Education. For more info: www.evergreenperinataleducation.com . Contact Mark Spitzack to register: firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-672-4119
- May 16, 2014. (Metro, MN) 2014 Women's, Children’s and Family’s Health and Nutrition Conference: Preventing Childhood Obesity Through Family Engagement and Policy. Topics will include food addiction and fetal origins of obesity. http://sph.umn.edu/ce/trainings/
- May 19-23, 2014. (Crookston, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc/clc2.htm
- June 3-5, 2014 (St. Paul, MN). Advanced Lactation Update and IBLCE Exam Strategies. Two-and-one-half-day preparation for IBLCE exam or update on research-based practice. Evergreen Perinatal Education. For info and to register: www.evergreenperinataleducation.com
- June 13, 2014 (Stevens Point Area, WI) Wisconsin Breastfeeding Coalition Summit. Focus: Maternity Care Practices. June 13, 2014 WBC Annual Breastfeeding Summit. Holiday Inn Stevens Point Convention Ctr. http://www.wibreastfeeding.com/
- June 16 – 20, 2014 (Pipestone, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc/clc2.htm
- June 23, 2014. (Metro, MN) Metro Breastfeeding Meeting. A non-commercial networking meeting. Location TBD. For more information contact email@example.com
- June 23, 2014. (Metro, MN) Metro WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators Meeting. WIC Only. Location TBD. Watch Wednesday Update and email with more information.
- June WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Calls. (Phone.) See Wednesday Update for more information.
- June 24 (11-12:15)
- June 25 (10:30-11:30)
- June 26(1-2:15) and
- June 30 (3-4:15), 2014.
- August 18 – 22, 2014. (Hibbing, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc
- September 11 – 12, 2014. (Duluth, MN) Excellence in Care with the Ten Steps. Presented by Evergreen Perinatal Education. Hosted by St. Luke’s Hospital. For registration information contact: Robin.Hutchinson@slhduluth.com.
- September 15-19, 2014 (St Paul, MN). Foundations for Best Practice in Lactation Care. The 5 Day Course. Presented by Evergreen Perinatal Education, hosted by Fairview Health Services. For more information contact Mark Spitzack at MSPITZA1@Fairview.org or 612-672-4119.
- September 29, 2014. (Metro, MN) Statewide WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators Meeting. 12:00 – 4:30.
- September 29, 2014. (TBD, Metro) MBC workshop "Baby Friendly 10 Step Workshop: Improving breastfeeding support in hospitals. Registration and additional information will be on the MBC website: http://mnbreastfeedingcoalition.org/
- September 30, 2014. (TBD, Metro) Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition (MBC) 7th Annual Statewide Meeting and Workshop. Registration and additional information will be on the MBC web site: http://mnbreastfeedingcoalition.org/.
- October 23, 2014. (Fargo, ND) 2014 ND Biennial Breastfeeding Conference. Fargo-Moorhead Area Breastfeeding Association. Featured speaker Lisa Marasco. Ramada Suites, Fargo, ND. For more information and to receive a conference flyer contact KVance@cityoffargo.com or Janis.firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Technical assistance available to MN WIC staff by phone, email or a site-visit. Contact Mary B. Johnson at email@example.com or 651-201-4406.
- Loving Support workshops can be scheduled for 2014, when requested by MN local WIC programs. This workshop focuses on Three-Step Counseling and addresses the counseling process rather than specific management of breastfeeding. We will discuss how the counselor can work with clients to:
- Identify potential barriers and strengths related to breastfeeding;
- Address the barriers and reassure the client; and
- Provide information relevant to the client.
This training will provide you with the opportunity to learn and practice a technique for breastfeeding counseling which can be used for counseling on other nutrition topics. While geared primarily for new CPA staff and those not able to attend an earlier workshop, any CPA who would like a review is welcome, as are your community partners (representatives from hospitals, clinics, LLL, other breastfeeding advocates). Please make sure everyone is registered. There is no charge for the training. CEUs available.
To schedule a workshop in your community contact Mary Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-4406 if you would like a workshop in your community. You are welcome to invite your community partners.
This information is provided to encourage WIC staff and others to develop their knowledge of lactation-related issues, for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization. If you know of other lactation-related training opportunities in Minnesota or Border States, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and include as much information as you can about date, location, topics, who to contact for more information, and a URL if available.
Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Although the MN State WIC Program has provided these links as additional potential sources for breastfeeding continuing education, this information is for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization.
- List of Breastfeeding Conferences by State
- International Lactation Consultant Association Directory of Lactation Course Providers
- Evergreen Perinatal Education
- Bright Futures Lactation Resource Center
- Global Online Discussion (Offers online conference each May)
- Lactation Education Resources
- La Leche League Peer Counselor Program
- The Lactation Institute's Lactation Educator Certificate Program
- Lactation Education Consultants (Certified lactation Specialist and Two-Day Cram Review Courses)
- Case Western Breastfeeding Basics On-Line Course ("Breastfeeding Basics is an academic, non-commercial, short course on the fundamentals of breastfeeding.")
- International Lactation Consultant Association Independent Study Modules