Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Information and Resources for Local Agencies
MN WIC Program
Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meetings
Only training in MN and adjacent states is listed here. MN WIC breastfeeding coordinator calls and meetings are also listed.
- September 29-October 3, 2014. (Sioux Falls, SD) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc
- September 29, 2014. (Keller Golf Course, Maplewood, MN) Statewide WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators Meeting. 12:00 – 4:30. Check the WIC Wednesday Update for more information and to RSVP.
- September 29, 2014. (Keller Golf Course, Maplewood, MN) MBC workshop "Baby Friendly 10 Step Workshop: Improving breastfeeding support in hospitals. Registration and additional information will be on the MBC website: http://mnbreastfeedingcoalition.org/
- September 30, 2014. (Keller Golf Course, Maplewood, MN) Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition (MBC) 7th Annual Statewide Meeting and Workshop. Registration and additional information will be on the MBC web site: http://mnbreastfeedingcoalition.org/.
- October 6-10, 2014. (Rochester, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc
- October 8 – 10, 2014. (Minneapolis, MN and distance education.) National Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course.
- October 23, 2014. (Fargo, ND) 2014 ND Biennial Breastfeeding Conference. Fargo-Moorhead Area Breastfeeding Association. Featured speaker Lisa Marasco. Ramada Suites, Fargo, ND. For more information and to receive a conference flyer contact KVance@cityoffargo.com or Janis.email@example.com.
- November 7, 2014. (Milwaukee, WI) Tongue-Tie, Lip-Tie and Suck Dysfunction. Speakers Dr Alison Hazelbaker and Dr Lawrence Kotlow. For more information: www.facebook.com/LLLofWIevents or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dec. 15-19, 2014 (Neenah, WI) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc.
Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Technical assistance available to MN WIC staff by phone, email or a site-visit. Contact Mary B. Johnson at email@example.com or 651-201-4406.
- Loving Support workshops can be scheduled for 2014, when requested by MN local WIC programs. This workshop focuses on Three-Step Counseling and addresses the counseling process rather than specific management of breastfeeding. We will discuss how the counselor can work with clients to:
• Identify potential barriers and strengths related to breastfeeding;
• Address the barriers and reassure the client; and
• Provide information relevant to the client.
This training will provide you with the opportunity to learn and practice a technique for breastfeeding counseling which can be used for counseling on other nutrition topics. While geared primarily for new CPA staff and those not able to attend an earlier workshop, any CPA who would like a review is welcome, as are your community partners (representatives from hospitals, clinics, LLL, other breastfeeding advocates). Please make sure everyone is registered. There is no charge for the training. CEUs available.
To schedule a workshop in your community contact Mary Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-4406 if you would like a workshop in your community. You are welcome to invite your community partners.
This information is provided to encourage WIC staff and others to develop their knowledge of lactation-related issues, for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization. If you know of other lactation-related training opportunities in Minnesota or Border States, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and include as much information as you can about date, location, topics, who to contact for more information, and a URL if available.
Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Although the MN State WIC Program has provided these links as additional potential sources for breastfeeding continuing education, this information is for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization.
- Global Online Discussion (Offers online conference each May)
- Case Western Breastfeeding Basics On-Line Course ("Breastfeeding Basics is an academic, non-commercial, short course on the fundamentals of breastfeeding.")