Breastfeeding Continuing Education
WIC Program Information and Resources for Local Agencies
- Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding coordinator meetings
- Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
- Videos available to borrow from MDH (link to another page)
Lactation Training Opportunities, Meetings and MN WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator Meetings
Only training in MN and adjacent states is listed here.
- April 4-5, 2013. (Minneapolis, MN) Clinical Applications in Lactation Care: A 2-day practice-oriented intensive course. www.evergreenperinataleducation.com.
- April 12, 2013. (St Paul, MN) Making More Milk: New Methods and Strategies. La Leche League of Minnesota and the Dakotas Spring Continuing Education Event. www.lllofmndas.weebly.com.
- April 16-17, 2013. (Minneapolis, MN) Importance of the Hospital Team: Helping Women Feed Their Babies (Baby-Friendly hospital staff education) – Fairview staff only.
- April 22, 2013 to May 31, 2013. Gold Lactation Online Conference. http://www.goldconf.com/.
- April 24-25, 2013. (Duluth, MN) Excellence in Care with the Ten Steps. Molly Pessl, BSN, IBCLC. Evergreen Perinatal Education. It is geared to hospital and clinic staff who care for mothers and babies before and after birth, but is useful for anyone who works with nursing mothers and their babies. TO REGISTER: www.excellenceincareduluth.eventbrite.com. FOR MORE INFORMATION: email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 7–9, 2013. (Minneapolis, MN) Advanced Update and Exam Review www.evergreenperinataleducation.com.
- May 20 – 24, 2013. (Rochester, MN) Lactation Counselor Training Course (CLC Course.) http://www.healthychildren.cc/PDFs/Spring%20Flyer%202013.pdf.
- May 21-22, 2013. (Minneapolis, MN) Importance of the Hospital Team: Helping Women Feed Their Babies (Baby-Friendly hospital staff education) - Fairview staff only.
- July 24 – 26. (Minneapolis, MN) Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course, University of Minnesota.
- September 23-27, 2013. (St Paul, MN) Foundations for Best Practice in Lactation Care. The 5 Day Course. Instructors Molly Pessl and Ginna Wall. For more information contact Mark Spitzack at MSPITZA1@Fairview.org or 612-672-4119.
- October 10, 2013. (TBD, MN) WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators Meeting. 12:00 – 4:30.
- October 11, 2013. (TBD, MN) Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition (MBC) 6th Annual Statewide Meeting. Registration and additional information will be on the MBC web site: http://mnbreastfeedingcoalition.org/.
- October 28-30, 2013. (Bloomington, MN) Minnesota WIC Conference. Open only to WIC staff.
Technical Assistance & Materials for Continuing Education at Your Agency
- Technical assistance available to MN WIC staff by phone, email or a site-visit. Contact Mary B. Johnson at email@example.com or 651-201-4406.
- Loving Support workshops can be scheduled for 2012, when requested by MN local WIC programs. This workshop focuses on Three-Step Counseling and addresses the counseling process rather than specific management of breastfeeding. We will discuss how the counselor can work with clients to:
- Identify potential barriers and strengths related to breastfeeding;
- Address the barriers and reassure the client; and
- Provide information relevant to the client.
This training will provide you with the opportunity to learn and practice a technique for breastfeeding counseling which can be used for counseling on other nutrition topics. While geared primarily for new CPA staff and those not able to attend an earlier workshop, any CPA who would like a review is welcome, as are your community partners (representatives from hospitals, clinics, LLL, other breastfeeding advocates). Please make sure everyone is registered. There is no charge for the training. CEUs available.
To schedule a workshop in your community contact Mary Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-4406 if you would like a workshop in your community. You are welcome to invite your community partners.
This information is provided to encourage WIC staff and others to develop their knowledge of lactation-related issues, for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization. If you know of other lactation-related training opportunities in Minnesota or Border States, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and include as much information as you can about date, location, topics, who to contact for more information, and a URL if available.
Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education
Although the MN State WIC Program has provided these links as additional potential sources for breastfeeding continuing education, this information is for your convenience, and is not meant as an endorsement of any particular course or organization.
- List of Breastfeeding Conferences by State
- International Lactation Consultant Association Directory of Lactation Course Providers
- Evergreen Perinatal Education
- The Breastfeeding Educator Program
- Bright Futures Lactation Resource Center
- Global Online Discussion (Offers online conference each May)
- Lactation Education Resources
- La Leche League Peer Counselor Program
- The Lactation Institute's Lactation Educator Certificate Program
- Lactation Education Consultants (Certified lactation Specialist and Two-Day Cram Review Courses)
- Case Western Breastfeeding Basics On-Line Course ("Breastfeeding Basics is an academic, non-commercial, short course on the fundamentals of breastfeeding.")
- International Lactation Consultant Association Independent Study Modules
- United States Lactation Consultant Association (USLCA). CDs of USLCA Webinars available (CERPs available): See http://www.uslcaonline.org/WebinarRecordings.html.