Information for Health Care Providers
MN WIC Program
When you think of the WIC Program, we hope you'll think of health, nutrition and breastfeeding! WIC recognizes breastfeeding as the standard for infant feeding, and promotes full breastfeeding for the first 6 months and breastfeeding with complementary foods for a year or more. The new WIC Food Packages better meet the nutritional needs of breastfeeding mothers and infants, and provide incentives for initiation and continuation of breastfeeding.
You might be surprised to learn that about 75% of Minnesota WIC participants initiate breastfeeding. With your partnership we can further increase initiation, duration, and exclusivity of breastfeeding.
WIC Breastfeeding Promotion & Support
- WIC provides information and anticipatory guidance on breastfeeding to pregnant and postpartum women.
- WIC encourages women to breastfeed as long as possible, and provides support for breastfeeding mother and baby.
- Some local WIC programs offer breastfeeding peer support, to complement professional breastfeeding support.
- WIC Food Packages are designed to supplement mothers’ and babies’ nutritional needs, and serve as an incentive for mothers to breastfeed without supplementation.
Infants' and Mothers' WIC Food Packages Reflect Amount of Breastfeeding
- Fully breastfeeding mothers and babies receive the largest variety and quantity of foods.
- Partially breastfeeding mothers and infants receive support to reach their breastfeeding goals, and quantities of foods based on the amount they are breastfeeding.
- Mom's and Baby's Food Package (PDF: 41KB/1 page)
WIC Breastfeeding Materials
Health Professionals Promote & Support Breastfeeding