Breastfeeding Resources to Support your Practice
Resources & References for Health Care Providers
MN WIC Program
Hospital/Clinic Practice and Protocols
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: Membership info, protocols, news releases & more.
- Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative: UNICEF Baby-Friendly USA at 1-508-888-8092 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Evidence for the ten steps to successful breastfeeding. World Health Organization, Geneva, 1998.
- CDC Guide to Breastfeeding Interventions (PDF): Evidence-based interventions, including maternity care practices, support for breastfeeding in the workplace, and others.
- A Breastfeeding-Friendly Approach Depression in New Mothers: Curriculum by New Hampshire BF Task Force. 2007.
Medications and Potential Contraindications to Breastfeeding
- Lactation Study Center: computerized database, with free information for professionals; 585-275-0088.
- Medications and Mothers Milk, Hale. 13th Ed, 2008. Online version also available. Clinical Therapy in Breastfeeding Patients. Hale and Berens. 2nd Ed, 2002. Pharmasoft Medical Publishing, Amarillo, Texas 79124.
- Dr. Hale’s Breastfeeding Pharmacology Page
- Lawrence, RA. A Review of the Medical Benefits and Contraindications to Breastfeeding in the United States. (Nutrition and Breastfeeding category). Maternal and Child Health Technical Information Bulletin; Maternal and Child Health Bureau. October 1997.
- Nebraska Teratology Information Service: Hotline resource for health care providers at 402-559-5071.
- Organization of Teratology Information Specialists
- NIH Toxnet / Lactmed
Patient Education and Referral Resources
- Initiating the Discussion of Breastfeeding. Rather than asking about feeding plans, use an open question, such as "What have you heard about breastfeeding?"
- National Women's Health Information Center. Information on-line in English, Spanish, Chinese. Order free copies of An Easy Guide to Breastfeeding.
- Translated Breastfeeding Information
- Breastfeeding Information on the Internet
- LACTNET, for health professionals only. Subscribe or search archives by topic.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ): Breastfeeding and Maternal and Infant Health Outcomes in Developed Countries. April 2007.
- The Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd Ed. Nancy Mohrbacher & Julie Stock. 2002. La Leche League International.
- Breastfeeding and Human Lactation 3rd Ed, 2005. Riordan, Jan and Kathleen Auerbach, Jones and Bartlett.
- Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, 6th edition 2005. Ruth Lawrence, Mosby.
- Textbook of Human Lactation. Hale and Hartman. 2007
- Becoming a Lactation Consultant: IBLCE web site
- Minnesota Law:
NOTE: Many other resources are available. This is not a complete list of available resources, and is not meant as an endorsement. You are welcome to copy this list. Information Subject to Change. Please contact MN WIC Program Breastfeeding Coordinator at 651-201-4406 or email@example.com to update information on this list.