Fruits and Vegetables
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are some recipes that use fruits and vegetables?
- What nutrients do fruits and vegetables provide?
- What are the health benefits from eating fruits and vegetables?
- How many fruits and vegetables do women and children need?
- What are some ways to eat more fruits and vegetables?
- My kids don't like many different types of fruits and vegetables. How can I help them to eat more fruits and vegetables?
- How can fruits and vegetables help me manage my weight?
- How do I select and store fresh fruits and vegetables?
What are some recipes that use fruits and vegetables?
What nutrients do fruits and vegetables provide?Fruits and vegetables are rich in many important vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, vitamin C, folate and potassium. Plus, most fruits and vegetables are low in calories and high in fiber!
What are the health benefits from eating fruits and vegetables?
Fruits and Vegetables can help prevent heart disease and certain types of cancer.
How many fruits and vegetables do women and children need?
The amount that you need depends on your age and level of physical activity. The following are general guidelines:
- Children (1-4 years old) need daily:
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups fruits
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups vegetables
- Women need daily:
- 2 cups fruits
- 3 cups vegetables
- 1 cup of fruit equals:
- 1 cup fruit or fruit juice
- 1/2 cup dried fruit
- 1 cup of vegetables equals:
- 1 cup raw or cooked vegetables
- 2 cups of raw leafy greens
What are some way to eat more fruits and vegetables?
Here are some simple ideas:
- Add raisins, berries, bananas or other fruits to cereal
- Add green peppers, onions and other vegetables to your pizza
- Add grated carrots to tuna or chicken salad
- Use applesauce as a dip for cut up fruit or for graham crackers
- Color your salad with added fruit
- Build your sandwich with lots of lettuce and tomatoes
- Chop up left-over vegetables and add to quesadillas
- Grill sliced veggies. Brush veggies with canola oil and grill for only a couple of minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Toss tomatoes, carrots, peas and corn in soups and stews
- Top pasta with cooked vegetables
My kids don’t like many different types of fruits and vegetables. How can I help them to eat more fruits and vegetables?
It's normal for small children to refuse a new food. It usually takes 7 to 10 tries before a child likes a new fruit or vegetable. Here are some other ideas:
- The kids are watching! Set a good example by eating fruits and vegetables.
- Involve children in the selection of fruits and vegetables at the store.
- Clean and cut up fruits and vegetables and keep them handy for children to eat as snacks. If they are cut-up and easy to access, kids will eat them!
How can fruits and vegetables help me manage my weight?
Fruits and vegetables are the perfect food to help you manage your weight because:
- Most fruits and vegetables are low in calories
- Fruits and vegetables are high in fiber, which helps you feel full
- Fruits and vegetables make a great snack replacement for unhealthy foods like chips, cookies and cakes.
How do I select and store fresh fruits and vegetables?
Check out the on-line fruits and vegetables database at http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/?page_id=164 for selection and storage information for many different fruits and vegetables.