Frequently Asked Questions
- What are some recipes that use soy products?
- What nutrients do soy-based beverages provide?
- What is tofu?
- Why are only certain brands of tofu allowed by WIC?
- What are some ways to use tofu?
- What is soy-based beverage?
- Why are only certain brands of soy-based beverage allowed by WIC?
- What are some ways to use soy-based beverage?
What are some recipes that use soy products?
- Soy Beverages:
What nutrients do tofu and soy-based beverage provide?
- Calcium helps keep your bones and teeth strong and hard and prevents bone disease (Osteoporosis). Calcium also helps your heart and muscles work well and may help prevent high blood pressure.
- Protein is needed for growth, development and repair of your muscles and other body tissues. It also helps fight infection and disease.
What is tofu?
Tofu is a cheese-like food. It is made by coagulating soy milk. Coagulating thickens the soy liquid into a semisolid mass. The resulting curds are pressed into blocks.
Why are only certain brands of tofu allowed by WIC?
WIC-allowed tofu must be calcium-set and prepared with only calcium salts. It can have no added fats, sugars, oils or sodium. The brands allowed by WIC meet these requirements.
What are some ways to use tofu?
Tofu has very little taste or smell on its own. It absorbs the flavors of the ingredients in the dish. Tofu can be seasoned or marinated to pick up the flavor of a dish. One easy way to use tofu – replace all or part of the meat in your next stir-fry with tofu.
What is soy-based beverage?
It is a beverage made from dry soybeans and water.
Why are only certain brands of soy-based beverage allowed by WIC?
Soy-based beverage must meet the WIC federal regulations. It must be fortified with specific amounts of calcium, protein, phosphorus, potassium, riboflavin and vitamin B12. The brands allowed by WIC meet these requirements.
What are some ways to use soy-based beverage?
Soy-based beverage is often used as an alternative to milk. Soy-based beverage can be used as a beverage or as a milk replacement in cooking.