Breastfeeding & a Recipe for a Healthy Baby
MN WIC Program
Printable Version: Breastfeeding & a Recipe for a Healthy Baby (PDF: 319KB/1 page)
- Ask to have your baby with you right after he is born.
- Your first milk, called colostrum, is made especially to meet the needs of your newborn baby.
- This milk is made in just the right amount as your baby's stomach is small and can hold only about a teaspoon of milk when he is born.
- This special early milk is not only food; it is also important in protecting your baby and has substances in it to help him stay strong and healthy.
- When your baby drinks only your milk, your body makes just the right amount of milk.
- A mother's milk meets the needs of her baby for the first 6 months (no other foods or fluids needed).
- After 6 months, breast milk continues to protect your baby against sickness, comforts your baby and provides the best nutrition as you add new foods.
- When you breast feed your baby, you are offering closeness to you, the sound of your heartbeat that he felt before birth.
- Feeding your baby only your milk meets his needs, offers him the very best protection against a number of illnesses, and helps your body know how much milk to make.
- He also learns about the taste of the foods your family eats.
- Breast fed babies become healthier adults..
Back to Top
Recipe for a Healthy Baby
- Before you become pregnant:
- Take a multivitamin with folic acid to help prevent birth defects.
- Take your prenatal vitamins.
- Learn about breastfeeding.
- Breastfeed! Your body know how to make the best food for your baby. Just as you protected and nourished him before birth, your body was preparing to make him the food to meet his needs when he is born, and as he grows and develops.
- Add lots of love! Your baby is off to a great start!
Back to Top