Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC): When I am 6-8 Months Old
MN WIC Program
I should go to my healthcare provider for a Child and Teen Checkup when I am 6 months old to see if I am growing and healthy.
If there is a history of allergies in your family, talk with your baby's doctor before starting any new foods.
- I CAN...
- Sit with support, by 8 months sit alone
- Roll over
- Try to put things in my mouth
- Begin to chew in up and down munching movements
- Show interest in your cup and reach for it (7 months)
- Grasp and hold on things with my palms (8 months)
- Watch for signs that I am ready for solids: I sit with support, hold my head up, reach for things, watch food and wait with my mouth open
- Keep breastfeeding. Offer me pureed meats or other protein foods at 6 months
- Give baby cereal with iron from a spoon - begin with plain rice cereal mixed thin with breastmilk or formula; later try oatmeal and barley
- Give me new foods one at a time; wait 5-7 days before starting another new one
- Try different food textures when I am ready; first smooth pureed foods, then mashed foods, and later ground or finely chopped foods
- Offer cereals, vegetables, fruits and protein foods (mashed beans, eggs, cottage cheese, cheese or meats - no hot dogs or luncheon meats)
- Teach me to drink from a cup by offering sips of breastmilk, formula or water. Avoid sipper cups with spill-proof lids
- TO KEEP ME SAFE & HEALTHY...
- Breastfeed me
- Use an approved car seat in the back seat
- Take me to my checkup on schedule
- Put safety gates across the top and bottom of stairs; put baby locks on cabinets
- Keep my shots up-to-date
- Keep me far away from cigarette smoke, hot liquids and the hot stove
- Keep a hand on me at all times when I am in water, never leave me alone near water, in a car or on a bed, couch, table or chair
- Talk to me, read to me, and play with me; let me play on the floor and learn to crawl
- Put me to sleep on my back in a safe sleeping area
- Give me safe baby toys, nothing with small parts
- Keep medicines and cleaning supplies out of my reach or locked up
- Cover unused electrical outlets; keep electrical cords and cords from blinds or drapes out of my reach