Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC): When I am 9-11 Months Old
MN WIC Program
I should go to my healthcare provider for a Child and Teen Checkup when I am 9 months old to see if I am growing and healthy.
Talk to my health care provider if you think I am learning things too slowly.
- I CAN...
- Sit alone easily, stand holding onto a support
- Creep or crawl
- Respond to my name, imitate sounds, say "mama" or "dada"
- Bite off food
- Move foods from side to side in my mouth
- Curve my lips around a cup
- Start picking up foods with my fingers (pincher grasp)
- Try to feed myself, and even start to use a spoon
- Keep breastfeeding, but introduce more foods
- Feed me mixed-grain baby cereal with iron
- Let me feed myself with my hands or a spoon, but watch me closely
- Give me small pieces of soft cooked vegetables and peeled, soft fruit
- Give me mahsed or chopped cooked noodles and plain rice
- Give me toasted bread squares, toasted "O" cereal, unsalted crackers or small pieces of soft tortillas
- Add small pieces of cooked ground meat, chicken or fish - make sure you take out all of the bones and tough parts
- Let me drink from a cup more; avoid sipper cups with lids
- Wipe my gums and teeth with a clean wet cloth daily
- TO KEEP ME SAFE & HEALTHY...
- Use an approved car seat in the back seat
- Take me to my checkup on schedule
- Vacuum or sweep floors ; pick up coins and paper clips
- Keep my shots up-to-date
- Keep me far away from cigarette smoke, hot liquids and the hot stove
- Keep a hand on me in the bath; never leave me alone near water, in a car or on a bed, couch, table or chair
- Talk to me, read to me, and play with me; teach me new words by pointing to objects
- Put me to sleep on my back in a safe sleeping area
- Give me safe baby toys, nothing with small parts
- Keep medicines, cleaning products, alcohol, guns, matches and knives out of my reach or locked up
- Cover unused electrical outlets; keep electrical cords and cords from blinds or drapes out of my reach
- Put safety gates across the top and bottom of stairs; put baby locks on cabinets